Scheduling and Pre-Requisites, Advice on what courses to take please.

In summary, the speaker is a freshman who has completed their first year of university and earned a C in Calculus 2. They plan to work through a calculus textbook over the summer to prepare for their math courses in the upcoming year. They have a lot of courses they need to take, including Calculus 3, Numerical Analysis, Calculus 4, Modern Physics, Mathematical Physics, Electricity and Magnetism, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Stellar/Galactic Astrophysics, Applied Linear Algebra, Linear Algebra 2, and Set Theory and Logic. They are unsure which linear algebra course to take and are considering taking Set Theory and Logic out of curiosity and as a prerequisite for upper-year math courses. They also ask for advice
Jarbear
So I am a freshman that is done his first year, I took the Cal 1 and 2 sequence along with the calculus based physics course at my university. I only earned a C in calculus 2 but I do not think it will be a problem as I am quite sure I will be able to get the necessary waivers signed.As the summer passes I am confident I will be prepared for my math courses as I plan to work through a textbook on calculus .

Now that I am signing up for my second year I have a lot of courses available that I would like to take, and that I need to take.
Those courses being ( Underlined I NEED 100%, italics I might need or are recommended)
Calculus 3
Numerical Analysis
Calculus 4
Modern Physics
Mathematical Physics
Electricity and Magnetism
Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations

Stellar/Galactic Astrophysics
Applied Linear Algebra
Linear Algebra 2
Set Theory and Logic

Now the thing is the Differential Equations course requires Calculus 3 , but it is offered in the same semester. Would it be possible to do both concurrently ? Assuming I get permission of course. If I am able to take the course is there anything I should to to prepare myself beforehand ?

Since there are two linear algebra courses , and they are offered in the same slot for some odd reason, I have to choose one.
Here are the descriptions:
Linear Algebra 2
Topics covered will include: Fields, abstract vector spaces, bases and dimension, linear mappings and operators, similarity and diagonalization, inner products and Gram-Schmidt orthonormalization.

Applied Linear Algebra
Topics covered may include: the geometry of n-space, linear and affine discrete dynamic systems, Markov processes, linear programming and linear differential equations.

Which of those two courses, judging by the topics, is better for a physics major ?

Now the set theory and logic I am thinking about just for the sake of curiosity,and if I decide to take any upper year math courses it is a prerequisite for many of them ( such as modern algebra and analysis). Would it be very useful for a physics student or would it be more important just as a prerequisite to the higher mathematics courses ?

If you managed to read through most of this thank you and if you have any comments or advise I would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarbear said:
the Differential Equations course requires Calculus 3 , but it is offered in the same semester. Would it be possible to do both concurrently ?

That depends on which topics are covered in your university's Calculus 3, and which of those are necessary or useful for Differential Equations. In the USA, most universities have a three-semester calculus sequence, and I think most of them require only Calculus 2 as prerequisite for the first course in Differential Equations.

The only recommended course I'd say you 100% ought to take is linear algebra 2. All of those topics are used extensively in quantum mechanics, and you will be able to concentrate on the physics if you aren't busy worrying what the hell it means to diagonalize a Hamiltonian like your classmates. The applied linear algebra class sounds much more specialized and not as useful.

1. When should I schedule my classes?

The best time to schedule your classes depends on your personal preferences and availability. Some students prefer to have all their classes in the morning, while others prefer to have a break in between classes. It is also important to consider your other commitments, such as work or extracurricular activities, when scheduling your classes.

2. How many courses should I take per semester?

This varies for each student and depends on factors such as your major, workload, and academic goals. It is generally recommended to take 12-15 credit hours per semester, which equates to 4-5 courses. However, it is important to consider your own capabilities and not overload yourself. It is also important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

3. Do I have to take all the pre-requisite courses before enrolling in a higher level course?

Yes, pre-requisite courses are designed to provide you with the necessary foundation for more advanced courses. It is important to follow the course sequence and complete all pre-requisite courses before moving on to higher level courses. Skipping pre-requisites can result in difficulties understanding the material and potentially lower grades.

4. Can I take courses outside of my major or degree requirements?

Absolutely! Many universities encourage students to take courses outside of their major to explore different subjects and broaden their knowledge. These courses can also fulfill general education requirements or count as electives towards your degree. Just make sure to consult with your academic advisor to ensure the course will count towards your degree requirements.

5. How can I choose the best courses for my academic and career goals?

It is important to have a clear understanding of your academic and career goals when selecting courses. Consider courses that align with your interests and will help you develop the skills and knowledge necessary for your desired career path. Additionally, consult with your academic advisor and professors for advice on courses that will complement your major and career goals.