Scholarship exam exercise about complex numbers - Can't solve

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving complex numbers and algebraic forms. The initial solution provided by the individual was a broken link, but upon clarification, it was determined that the solution simply involved plugging in given values and simplifying using properties of complex numbers. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of complex conjugation.
Purpleshinyrock
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello, I have this (I am solving scholarship exams)math problem and I don't quite know what to do with it , Could You please help?

The exercise is about complex numbers and it says:
Calculate
kjh.png
in the algebraic form(a+bi)

I thought on applying substitution since -1=i^2 and z is the real part but don't know what to do with the w.
Heres the solution:
hhrtht.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The first image appears to be a broken link and so we can't really help you with this yet.

Likes Purpleshinyrock
jedishrfu said:
The first image appears to be a broken link and so we can't really help you with this yet.
I am sorry.
This is the image
kjh.png

Purpleshinyrock said:
I am sorry.
This is the imageView attachment 280599
I assume you are given ##w## and ##z##?

Likes Purpleshinyrock
yes
PeroK said:
I assume you are given ##w## and ##z##?
w=1´+2i and z=1+3i

Purpleshinyrock said:
yes

w=1´+2i and z=1+3i
Okay, what don't you understand about the given solution?

Likes Purpleshinyrock
Purpleshinyrock said:
w=1´+2i and z=1+3i
That would have been valuable information in the first post.
The solution just plugs that into the expression and then simplifies.

Likes Vanadium 50, FactChecker, SammyS and 1 other person
PeroK said:
Okay, what don't you understand about the given solution?
I thought I needed to apply a concept of complex numbers , I am so sorry I did what you where implying and got to the result I din't think of the pluggin the values in.

Purpleshinyrock said:
I thought I needed to apply a concept of complex numbers , I am so sorry I did what you where implying and got to the result I din't think of the pluggin the values in.
Yes, that's all there is to it.

Likes jedishrfu and Purpleshinyrock
One property you need to know is that i^2=-1 so you can use this to simplify the power expression. You also need to know about complex conjugation.

Likes Purpleshinyrock

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in scholarship exams?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are important in scholarship exams because they are used in advanced mathematics and physics to solve complex problems.

2. What is the most common method for solving complex number problems in scholarship exams?

The most common method for solving complex number problems is using the algebraic properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive property and the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing complex numbers.

3. How can I improve my ability to solve complex number problems for scholarship exams?

Practice is key to improving your ability to solve complex number problems. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and rules for working with complex numbers, and then practice solving a variety of problems to build your skills.

4. Are there any online resources or study materials specifically for preparing for scholarship exams on complex numbers?

Yes, there are many online resources and study materials available for preparing for scholarship exams on complex numbers. Some examples include practice problems and study guides on educational websites, as well as online courses and tutorials.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to solve complex number problems for scholarship exams?

If you are still struggling, it may be helpful to seek out a tutor or ask your teacher for extra help. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem.