Scholarships After Already Starting College

In summary, there are continuing student scholarships available, but they are harder to obtain compared to scholarships for incoming freshmen. Maintaining a high GPA and participating in extracurricular activities can help increase your chances. These scholarships are usually for smaller amounts and may only be a one-time award. If you plan on pursuing a Ph.D., graduate school may be free.
JC92
I just have a few quick questions about getting scholarships after one has already gone through the first year or so of college. My mediocre GPA from high school, a result of slacking, prevents me from getting a lot of scholarships right out of high school. I'm completely fine with using student loans and federal aid to pay for my first couple of years or even my first 4 years of college. However, once I get my undergraduate degree, I really don't want have to pay for graduate school and beyond with student loans. The first 4 years will be bad enough. So what I'm wondering is are there normally scholarships in college I can get (assuming I have very good scores. Such as a 3.5 GPA + good scores in all my classes) that will pay for my future years in college? And are there normally any scholarships that I will be able to work for that will pay for grad school? I understand that it will probably differ with each college, but I'm speaking in general. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JC92 said:
I just have a few quick questions about getting scholarships after one has already gone through the first year or so of college. My mediocre GPA from high school, a result of slacking, prevents me from getting a lot of scholarships right out of high school. I'm completely fine with using student loans and federal aid to pay for my first couple of years or even my first 4 years of college. However, once I get my undergraduate degree, I really don't want have to pay for graduate school and beyond with student loans. The first 4 years will be bad enough. So what I'm wondering is are there scholarships in college I can get (assuming I have very good scores. Such as a 3.5 GPA + good scores in all my classes) that will pay for my future years in college? And are there any scholarships that I will be able to work for that will pay for grad school? Thanks in advance for any help.

There are definitely continuing student scholarships, but speaking from experience, they are MUCH harder to get (harder to find even) than scholarships right out of high school.

Newtime said:
There are definitely continuing student scholarships, but speaking from experience, they are MUCH harder to get (harder to find even) than scholarships right out of high school.
How hard exactly? I mean I plan on having as close to straight A's as possible. And a very high GPA. Are they hard to get even with that? I'll also be getting the Pell Grant, and I remember seeing a few scholarships from a college I'm considering that required you to be getting the Pell Grant.

I asked this very question for the most part. I rely on the GI bill for my undergrad and it will not cover anything after that. For that reason I am very motivated to get grad school paid for. I was told my many sources that a solid GPA, research, and recommendations would allow me to slide into a tuition-waived grad program with a stipend. I am shooting for a 3.9 at least, but I generally heard that 3.5+ is a solid gpa for that.

I'm a 3rd year student, and I was approved for a $2,500 scholarship.

Also, if you plan on getting a Ph.D., grad school is usually free.

From my experiences, there are a handful scholarships available after you get started. My department sponsors a number of awards in particular. However, they generally aren't more than $1000 and only a one time award. Don't expect to find a full ride scholarship after you start school. Its great that you're keeping good grades since that is naturally important, but make sure to get involved in one or two student activities, preferably at least one in your department. It'll help you stick out on applications. Hope that helps and sorry, but I don't have much info on grad school.

1. What are scholarships for students who have already started college?

There are a variety of scholarships available for students who have already started college, also known as current college students. These scholarships can be specific to a certain major, ethnicity, or other criteria. Some may even be open to all current college students regardless of their background.

2. Can I still apply for scholarships if I have already received financial aid?

Yes, you can still apply for scholarships even if you have already received financial aid. Scholarships are a form of aid that does not need to be repaid, so they can be combined with other forms of financial aid such as grants and loans.

3. How can I find scholarships that I am eligible for as a current college student?

There are several ways to find scholarships as a current college student. Your first step should be to check with your college's financial aid office, as they may have information on scholarships specifically for current students. You can also search online through scholarship databases and websites, or check with local organizations and community groups for potential scholarship opportunities.

4. Are there scholarships available for graduate students who have already started their program?

Yes, there are scholarships available for graduate students who have already started their program. These scholarships may be specific to certain fields of study or may be open to all graduate students. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early, as they may have different deadlines than undergraduate scholarships.

5. Can I apply for scholarships after my first year of college?

Yes, you can apply for scholarships after your first year of college. Many scholarships are open to students at any point in their college career, so it is never too late to start searching and applying for scholarships. However, keep in mind that some scholarships may have specific eligibility requirements, such as a minimum GPA or enrollment in a certain major, so it is important to read the requirements carefully before applying.