1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools focused only on teaching mathematics?

1. Aug 11, 2009 #1
    Is there any schools out there that is entirely focused into teaching mathematics, particularly those for preparing students to become research mathematicians?

I found one so far which is Independent University of Moscow.
    http://ium.mccme.ru/english/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2
    There are some(private) high schools which is for future mathematicians.

For higher education, there are several universities with STRONG math departments.
    Why do you want an only-math school? Can't all subjects live in harmony?

4. Aug 11, 2009 #3
    Oh...just for curiosity's sake. Besides, I like the idea of mathematics-only schools because they are very likely to be small, allowing closer interaction between students and teachers. My ideal size is around 300-500.

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4
    Although I can't say I see anything terribly wrong with this at the undergrad level, such a school could never be competitive on a grad level and thus would not attract great research professors. However, in my experience, the best undergrad teaching is done by non-research oriented profs. So for those 3 years it may be a good idea except for the fact that the 4th year of an undergrad program is usually dominated by an undergrad research project.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5
    Some might argue that parts of Cambridge are kingdoms unto their own entirely dedicated to Maths...
    :-)

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6
    Cambridge isn't the only school to use a college system.

8. Aug 14, 2009 #7
  9. Aug 14, 2009 #8
    How about BMS?

10. Aug 15, 2009 #9
  11. Aug 15, 2009 #10
    No, you are absolutely right. It was a joke. A weak one, I admit.

I was trying to point out that there are many universities that may not be entirely dedicated to Maths, but still have a huge and extremely strong department...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook