1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schroedinger's equation with positive energy

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle (which mass is [tex]m[/tex]) and the following unidimensional potential:

[tex]V(x)=\begin{cases}+\infty & x<0\\ -V_0 & 0<x<a\\0 & x>a \end{cases}[/tex]

Let [tex]E[/tex] be positive. Find the spatial autofunction.
    2. Relevant equations
    I'm convinced that I have to use Schroedinger's equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found:
    [tex]\psi(x)=\begin{cases} 0 & x<0 \\ A\sin{lx}+B\cos{lx} & 0<x<a\\ C\exp{ikx}+D\exp{-ikx} & x>a\end{cases}[/tex]
    where [tex]k=\frac{\sqrt(2mE)}{\bar{h}}[/tex] and [tex]l=\frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_0)}}{\bar{h}}[/tex].
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    you may want to check your signs on [itex]l[/itex].

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    also, to get [itex]\hbar[/itex] in latex, you have to use \hbar inside the tex environment. Using \bar{h} gives you a small line over h: [tex]\bar{h}[/tex]

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    What do you mean? I don't understand where is the problem: I know that [tex]E>-V_0[/tex], so [tex]l\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5
    For some reason, I missed the [itex]-V_0[/itex] and thought that you should have

[tex]
    l=\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0-E)}
    [/tex]

You are correct though.

Are you translating this from another language because you should be looking for an eigenfunction, and from what I understand autofunction is a common translation error. But to finish off the problem, you will need to apply boundary conditions (at [itex]x=a[/itex] and [itex]x=0[/itex]) to find your constants [itex]A,\,B,\,C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    I am translating the problem from Italian :shy:
    I found A,B,C,D using the boundary conditions (I don't have doubts about the result because I used a mathematical software). Thank you for helping me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook