Schroedinger's equation with positive energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spatial autofunction for a particle with mass m and a unidimensional potential. The potential is defined as +∞ for x < 0, -V0 for 0 < x < a, and 0 for x > a. The conversation mentions using Schroedinger's equation to find the solution and provides the equation for the spatial autofunction. The conversation also discusses the use of constants A, B, C, and D and applying boundary conditions to find their values. The conversation ends with the clarification of a translation error and the confirmation of the solution through the use of a mathematical software.
Matthew888

Homework Statement

Consider a particle (which mass is [tex]m[/tex]) and the following unidimensional potential:

[tex]V(x)=\begin{cases}+\infty & x<0\\ -V_0 & 0<x<a\\0 & x>a \end{cases}[/tex]

Let [tex]E[/tex] be positive. Find the spatial autofunction.

Homework Equations

I'm convinced that I have to use Schroedinger's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found:
[tex]\psi(x)=\begin{cases} 0 & x<0 \\ A\sin{lx}+B\cos{lx} & 0<x<a\\ C\exp{ikx}+D\exp{-ikx} & x>a\end{cases}[/tex]
where [tex]k=\frac{\sqrt(2mE)}{\bar{h}}[/tex] and [tex]l=\frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_0)}}{\bar{h}}[/tex].
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
you may want to check your signs on [itex]l[/itex].

also, to get [itex]\hbar[/itex] in latex, you have to use \hbar inside the tex environment. Using \bar{h} gives you a small line over h: [tex]\bar{h}[/tex]

jdwood983 said:
you may want to check your signs on [itex]l[/itex].

What do you mean? I don't understand where is the problem: I know that [tex]E>-V_0[/tex], so [tex]l\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Matthew888 said:
What do you mean? I don't understand where is the problem: I know that [tex]E>-V_0[/tex], so [tex]l\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].

For some reason, I missed the [itex]-V_0[/itex] and thought that you should have

[tex]
l=\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0-E)}
[/tex]

You are correct though.

Are you translating this from another language because you should be looking for an eigenfunction, and from what I understand autofunction is a common translation error. But to finish off the problem, you will need to apply boundary conditions (at [itex]x=a[/itex] and [itex]x=0[/itex]) to find your constants [itex]A,\,B,\,C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

I am translating the problem from Italian :shy:
I found A,B,C,D using the boundary conditions (I don't have doubts about the result because I used a mathematical software). Thank you for helping me.

1. What is Schrodinger's equation with positive energy?

Schrodinger's equation with positive energy is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles with positive energy, such as electrons, in a given system.

2. How is Schrodinger's equation with positive energy different from the original Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation with positive energy is derived from the original Schrodinger's equation, but it only applies to particles with positive energy, while the original equation applies to all particles, including those with negative energy.

3. What does a positive energy state mean in Schrodinger's equation?

In Schrodinger's equation, a positive energy state means that the probability of finding a particle in that state is non-zero. This means that the particle has enough energy to exist in that state.

4. Can Schrodinger's equation with positive energy be used to describe all quantum systems?

No, Schrodinger's equation with positive energy only applies to particles with positive energy. Other equations, such as the Dirac equation, are needed to describe particles with negative energy.

5. Why is Schrodinger's equation with positive energy important in quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's equation with positive energy is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to predict the behavior of particles with positive energy, which make up the majority of particles in the universe.