Schwarzschild solution and velocity of stationary observer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity and coordinate systems in the context of general relativity. It is important to consider the observer's reference frame and the corresponding coordinates when calculating velocity. The equation U^\mu U^\nu g_{\mu \nu} = -1 is used to determine an observer's velocity in a particular coordinate system. However, an observer's own four-velocity is not always (1,0,0,0) in general relativity, unlike in special relativity. The equation holds in any coordinate system, demonstrating the flexibility of tensors and scalars in general relativity.
dianaj
Hey all,

I suddenly find myself very confused about velocity and coordinate systems. I have a feeling this is very simple, but sometimes the mind just curls up, you know? ;)

When you ask what an observer observe, you need to see things from his point of view - his reference frame. And his reference frame must be a frame moving with him. But this reference frame can look very different depending on what coordinates he choose, right? So this frame can e.g. be an inertial frame, but it can also be some weird twisted frame, right?

Consider the Schwarzschild solution and a stationary observer at a distance r from the center (beyond 2GM). He must of course be using some sort of thrust to stay still.

Now, my book says: "Work in inertial coordinates such that the observer is in the rest frame. Then the velocity of the observer is U = (1,0,0,0)." So the observer, using inertial coordinates, sees himself as having velocity U=(1,0,0,0)?

Another place in my book, the velocity of this stationary observer is described as

[tex]U=((1-\frac{2GM}{r})^{-1/2},0,0,0)[/tex]

This is obviously in a coordinate system where the metric is the Schwarzschild metric itself. So this is another kind of reference frame. But is this what the observer himself measures? I think I have a tendency to consider a omnipresent observer looking down at the whole S.T., and I think I have considered

[tex]U=((1-\frac{2GM}{r})^{-1/2},0,0,0)[/tex]

as the velocity that this omnipresent observer sees the stationary observer having. But this is wrong, right?

So basically, when you want to know your velocity, you choose a coordinate system, find the corresponding metric and then calculate the velocity from the relation

[tex]U^\mu U^\nu g_{\mu \nu} = -1. [/tex]

And what you find is the velocity that you see yourself having. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
An observer's own four-velocity is always (1,0,0,0), isn't it?

dianaj said:
So basically, when you want to know your velocity, you choose a coordinate system, find the corresponding metric and then calculate the velocity from the relation

[tex]U^\mu U^\nu g_{\mu \nu} = -1. [/tex]

And what you find is the velocity that you see yourself having. Right?

Yes.

Edit: Ooops, I meant just the LHS, not sure if the RHS is right - does it work out in Schwarzschild coordinates?

Last edited:
atyy said:
Yes.

Edit: Ooops, I meant just the LHS, not sure if the RHS is right - does it work out in Schwarzschild coordinates?

The equation holds in any coordinate system, so it works in Schwarzschild coordinates as well. This is the neat thing about tensors equations and scalars - they don't care much about coordinates. :)

Jonathan Scott said:
An observer's own four-velocity is always (1,0,0,0), isn't it?

No, only in special relativity.

dianaj said:
No, only in special relativity.

OK - I guess the way I learned GR it had never occurred to me to use "own velocity" in a different way from SR.

dianaj said:
The equation holds in any coordinate system, so it works in Schwarzschild coordinates as well. This is the neat thing about tensors equations and scalars - they don't care much about coordinates. :)

OK, good, that's what I thought from Fermi-Walker transport, but sometimes I need to do the computation in another coordinate system for a sanity check :)

1. What is the Schwarzschild solution?

The Schwarzschild solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity. It describes the curvature of spacetime around a spherically symmetric, non-rotating mass.

2. How does the Schwarzschild solution relate to the velocity of a stationary observer?

The Schwarzschild solution includes a term known as the "gravitational time dilation factor", which accounts for the effect of gravity on time. This factor affects the perceived velocity of a stationary observer, making time appear to pass more slowly near massive objects.

3. Can the velocity of a stationary observer be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the maximum possible velocity. The perceived velocity of a stationary observer may be affected by gravity, but it cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the Schwarzschild solution differ from Newton's law of gravitation?

The Schwarzschild solution is a more accurate and comprehensive description of gravity than Newton's law of gravitation. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity on time, while Newton's law only describes the force of gravity between two masses.

5. Is the Schwarzschild solution applicable to all objects in space?

No, the Schwarzschild solution is only applicable to non-rotating, spherically symmetric masses. It does not accurately describe the curvature of spacetime around rotating or irregularly shaped objects.