Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sciam Partnership: Member Discount!

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    Sciam is exclusively giving all present and future members a 20% discount on their printed subscription.

This is an amazing opportunity and price! We worked hard on securing this part of the deal and want it to be a HUGE thank you to all members who make PF so great!

Instructions on how to signup using the discount will be announced within a week or two.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

That's wonderful! I got my first subscription when I was in my teens.
  4. Apr 3, 2008 #3
    Any thoughts on a new PF skin in white, blue, black and green?
  5. Apr 3, 2008 #4
    No plans on changing the PF skin
  6. Apr 3, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

Cool, i actually think i'll go for it.
  7. Apr 7, 2008 #6
    Considering an issue of sciam is $5 in stores, this is a killer deal.
  8. Apr 7, 2008 #7
    Oh man, :cry: :cry:

I renewed my subscription two weeks ago.

I'm going to curl into a ball now.
  9. Apr 7, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

The german edition (Spektrum der Wissenschaft) is €7.20 in stores and €79.30 in subscription. That's $11.30 or $124.30, respectively.
    Greg, you can't help it?
  10. Apr 7, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you'll be able to get the American version shipped to Germany for the $33 quoted in the opening post, I presume!
  11. Apr 7, 2008 #10

Staff: Mentor

These days, I'd prefer a digital edition. I haven't looked into it, but isn't the digital edition subscription the same anywhere in the world. Afterall, one simply access the material electronically. I don't need another stack of magazines.
  12. Apr 7, 2008 #11
    I agree with you. I looked into it a couple of weeks ago and found out there is a digital edition, but it is only available to subscribers inside the USA :( It would be VERY NICE if the digital edition with electronic search facility was made available to PF members OUTSIDE the US. :) There is a surprising number of people in world that can read in their native language and in English. Possibly a majority?
  13. Apr 7, 2008 #12
    So when I ask for my subscription, how exactly do I let them know that I am a PF member so that I can get the great discount?
  14. Apr 7, 2008 #13
    I'll be supplying a link shortly.
  15. Apr 7, 2008 #14
    To say nothing of those of us to whom English IS our native language... it makes even less sense to treat us so shabbily... unless they're just ashamed that, for all these years, they've been pronouncing "z" as "zee" and not "zed".
  16. Apr 8, 2008 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who's being treated "shabbily"? I don't get it!
  17. Apr 8, 2008 #16
    Well, I was on the fence about it - as I would rather a slightly more technical (but not painfully so) magazine - but I think this will push me over. I might as well just get it. Thanks for informing us!
  18. Apr 10, 2008 #17

Will probably use this to subscribe; used to read that mag all the time years ago.

Great to hear.
  19. Apr 14, 2008 #18
    so... whats the status of the subscription again?
  20. Apr 14, 2008 #19
    So where is the link? :)
  21. Apr 15, 2008 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would it be prudent to require a minimum post count in order to qualify for the SciAm discount? This would prevent users signing up purely for the discount without ever actually using or contributing to the forum. I understand that the discount is designed both to increase the SciAm readership and bring new members to PF, but surely we don't want users simply signing up for the discount and never returning. Such practises would have a negative influence on PF and the SciAm partnership with PF.

Just my thoughts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?