Science museums, monuments and tours in europe

In summary, FabricHeidelberg (Germany) is a great place to explore physics, as is CERN in Geneva (Switzerland). A few other places I've visited in Germany and Switzerland are the Deutsches Museum in Munich, Röntgen's laboratory at the University of Würzburg, and the Einstein House in Bern. There is a list of science museums in the UK that I would love to visit, including the Rutherford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, and Manchester. Finally, Florence, Italy is a great place to visit for its collection of Galileo's instruments and his tomb.
Fabric
Hello everyone,

My first post, will be asking a of some traveling advise.

I want to spend a week in some country of Europe, but not just any country, I would love to hear if anyone knows of a country (and of course a city) where you can really explore physics in general, either by going to exciting museums or just in the city's history. Events, museums, monuments and so on.

Anyone who knows just the place? :)

Cheers,
Fabric

Physics news on Phys.org
A few physics-related places that I've visited in Germany and Switzerland:

The Optical Museum in Jena.

The Deutsches Museum in Munich (all sorts of science and technology).

Röntgen's laboratory at the University of Würzburg where he discovered X-rays (actually it happened to be closed when I was in town, but I walked past the building).

The Einstein House in Bern, where he wrote his first relativity paper while working at the patent office.

That's an interesting question and I think it would be a great idea to create some pinned thread with
a description of all kinds of interesting scientific sites ordered by country.

I agree with jtbell that the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich is a must:
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

CERN in Geneva (Switzerland) is also like Mecca.

Maybe Goettingen in Germany:
http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/doc...hysical Instruments_GoorgAugustUniversity.pdf

I am sure there is lots of stuff from the Newton era in UK.

When I was going to Paris last time I was quite disappointed that I there seem to be but few scientific museums despite great scientists like Lavoisier to Curie.

Newton of course is buried in Westminster Abbey in London.

Here's Ludwig Boltzmann's gravestone in the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna, with his definition of entropy:

450px-Zentralfriedhof_Vienna_-_Boltzmann.JPG

http://www.museogalileo.it/en/index.html

Florence, Italy. Has the only surviving instruments made by Galileo, plus 18 rooms of goodness.

Including his finger. :tongue:

Thanks for all the great answers, will be sure to check it out :)

What types of exhibits can be found in science museums in Europe?

Science museums in Europe often have a wide variety of exhibits ranging from interactive displays, hands-on experiments, and multimedia presentations to traditional artifacts and specimens. Some museums also have special exhibits on specific topics or current scientific research.

What are some famous science monuments in Europe?

Some famous science monuments in Europe include the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France which is a symbol of engineering and innovation, the Atomium in Brussels, Belgium which represents the structure of an atom, and the CERN research facility in Geneva, Switzerland which is home to the Large Hadron Collider.

What can visitors expect on a science tour in Europe?

A science tour in Europe can vary depending on the specific tour, but visitors can expect to visit famous scientific landmarks, participate in hands-on activities, and learn about the history and advancements of science in Europe. Some tours may also include visits to research facilities or talks by scientists.

Are there science museums specifically for children in Europe?

Yes, there are many science museums in Europe that are specifically designed for children. These museums often have interactive exhibits and activities aimed at making science fun and engaging for young learners. Some popular examples include the Cite des Enfants in Paris, France and the Technopolis in Mechelen, Belgium.

What are some challenges faced by science museums in Europe?

Some common challenges faced by science museums in Europe include securing funding for new exhibits and maintaining older ones, staying up to date with new scientific advancements, and attracting a diverse audience. Additionally, language barriers and cultural differences can also pose challenges for museums that cater to international visitors.