Scientific American Partnership

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums and Scientific American have announced a partnership that will involve PF joining the Scientific American Network and participating in their ad model. This partnership brings the support and connections of a leader in the science industry, as well as the promise of higher revenue for PF. The ad model will feature professional and non-intrusive graphical ads and will not increase the number of ad units on PF. Other benefits include a special partner page on Sciam's homepage, an RSS feed, and potential content sharing projects in the future. The partnership is effective April 1st and is not an April Fools joke.
mbrmbrg said:
Ummmm...
While I was gone, I didn't see any graphical banner ad thingies. I am mucho dissapointedo.
But this whole partnership with scientific american is too cool! Legitimacy at last! (ducks the frozen fish slap)

Nothing is setup quite yet, hopefully by the end of the week.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations! :)

omg, it really isn't an April Fool's gag.

Well, congrats!

This is brilliant! I love Sciam, you can find it on most magazine stands in Delhi now. What kind of content will we see?

Congratulations!

Here it is:

http://www.sciam.com/partners/

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is very significant. Scientific American (Sciam) has their own ad network which dishes out ad campaigns. Instead of using Google text ads we will be moving to Sciam's graphical ads. However, note, when no Sciam campaigns are running, you may see Google ads. This is in our best interest because Sciam has direct connections with top science and technology companies. Sciam also has high quality standards. We will no longer see crackpot theories advertised. And obviously this has the promise of higher revenue which help keep PF running and growing.
No offense intended but this particular change seems to me like a big step forward... :)

Congratulations to the PF crew.

speaking about "no crackpot theories" remark, are you also going to filter out these out of google ads?

Attachments

• pfsa.JPG
    pfsa.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 348
Very Nice Job

I want to congratulate this event happening I am just a student but I will be a professional very soon. I strongly like the idea of merging with Sciam. To the best of the best!

speaking about "no crackpot theories" remark, are you also going to filter out these out of google ads?
Look what I've found as the top ad at sciam.com/partners/:
http://vedic.by-choice.com/yagna/"

Last edited by a moderator:
No more crackpot theories. And I thought I was kicked off long ago.
Just when I have a real good 26d string cosmology.
yanniru

As a casual reader of these forums, even I am excited about this.

Good job guys!

Gokul43201 said:
In nearly all countries but the US (e.g., Canada, Singapore, Philippines, India, Australia, UK) PF enjoys a similar or much better page rank than sciam.com. Sciam has a lot to gain from this partnership too.

I am interested on hearing how do you got such data? Google insider, are you :biggrin: ?

Now, you are probably right. Alexa shows that PF is a good match to sciam, in fact better than the other new partners.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/t...r3DCq5Mz04cC0DsqeqYfWQlw=&range=6m&size=Large

(btw: do we have stast "per forum"? Just curious)

It seems that the sciam audience depends a lot of the journal periodicity; its "lower support" is of the same order than PF, its higher reach triplicates it, and it is probably even better if you go to monthly-unique visits.

Quancast gives data for the USA market only. A pity.
PF is measured "over 311K U.S. monthly uniques." http://www.quantcast.com/physicsforums.com
sciam "reaches over 1.5 million monthly uniques, of which 1.0 million (68%) are in the U.S.".

arivero said:
I am interested on hearing how do you got such data?
Scroll down to the bottom of the Alexa page - it shows traffic ranks in different countries.

Publication

Sooooo. Does that mean if a post shows up in the Physics Forum that it can be claimed as published material?

/lol

20% discount to Sciam subscriptions, and I just renewed mine for another 3 years.

I bought my first American Scientist a few weeks back, has anyone read the artcile on CERN? I thought it was great, it explained it a lot better than other magazines I have found on the subject. Even these new articles in "news" on the forums look interesting, I can only see this being a good thing.

_Mayday_

Congrats!

Hey there,

It's been ages since I was posting regularly on PF but I'm still subscribed and keep track of what's going on. I remember when the forum started and Greg was just a kid. I think from memory he was 16 or 17. It's great to see how things have gone and that it has gained such esteemed recognition.

Congrats Greg.

Raavin ;)

Gokul43201 said:
In nearly all countries but the US (e.g., Canada, Singapore, Philippines, India, Australia, UK) PF enjoys a similar or much better page rank than sciam.com. Sciam has a lot to gain from this partnership too.
Ok, you heard about Google's Pagerank, and now I'm telling you to forget about it again.

Several years ago Pagerank was a huge determining factor in how websites were ranked, but this is not so anymore!

The quality of the link is much more important, making Pagerank as a quantifier of a website's success utterly useless. Spam one million guestbooks with your link and your website won't get anywhere near #1 in the search engine results pages. On the other hand, a couple of editorially given, highly relevant links will help you out a LOT.

Ok, now you can forget about Pagerank. Right now. Do it.

arivero said:
I am interested on hearing how do you got such data? Google insider, are you :biggrin: ?
You don't have to be an "insider" to know this kind of stuff. There are tools with which you can query different data centers so you can see what a website's Pagerank is across Google's servers. However claiming that a difference between data centers has any significance at all for a longer period of time is absolutely pointless as well. The copy of the web on some data centers is simply more current than the one on other data centers and after a while an update gets pushed across the entire network.

But let's forget Pagerank ever existed, shall we?

arivero said:
Now, you are probably right. Alexa shows that PF is a good match to sciam, in fact better than the other new partners.
Oh God, Alexa. Do you even know how they calculate their data? People have to install the Alexa toolbar on their PCs and that toolbar sends out usage information. And the people who usually install this toolbar are webmasters, it has little to no value for anyone else. So all Alexa can tell you is how popular a given website is among webmasters.

_Mayday_ said:
I bought my first American Scientist a few weeks back
You bought a scientist from the USA? How did you get him through customs?

Last edited:
Hello,

How do I claim the 20% discount?

Thank you!

Schrodinger's Dog said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=226363

Watch this space, GB, will be supplying a link presently.

I asked sciam about the creation of the gateway and it still being developed. I hope we can present a link within the next couple weeks.