Scientific law named after first name

In summary, Njorl said that there are no laws named for Galileo, that was his first name. Archimedes has his principle and Pythagorus has his theorem. Njorl also said that the Galilean transformation is named for Galileo. Guy Lussac Law is a chemical law that contains both first and last name.
woodysooner
My phys II prof said there were no law of physics or anything laws like math chem that were named by the inventors first name only the last. I know there is no way that is true i have been thinking of all i know and I can't seem to think so maybe he's right. but just a thought if anyone can think of one i would be greatly appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the Greeks only had one name.

cookiemonster

Are there any laws named for Galileo, that was his first name. Archimedes has his
principle and Pythagorus has his theorem.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Are there any laws named for Galileo, that was his first name. Archimedes has his
principle and Pythagorus has his theorem.

Njorl
Technically, isn't it the "Pythagorean Theorem", which is credited to Pythagoras' school and may or may not have been discovered by Pythagoras himself?

The Galilean transformation is named for Galileo Galilei! I'd say it is probably for his first name, but it is hard to tell.

Njorl

I know a chemical law, but it contains both first and last name: Guy Lussac Law. Its a pressure/ temp law.

we're getting closer. there's got to be a big one after the first name. thanks but let's keep thinking.

come on

someone has to know of one. yall all are brilliant on here. halls of ivy or selfadjoint someone.

Did Cher ever come up with anything important in science? Or Sonny?

yup

its called sonny's proof of massive deacceleration. causes death. sadly
with trees

Ah yes, the skiing accident. One of the Kennedy clan died that way too, if I remember right.

Poor them, both of them, but POOR me that i cannot show up prof for making that statement in stone.

Njorl said:

Archimedes Principle

check it on google

It is a law of physics
Archimedes is his first name or his only name
(he was Archimedes of Syracuse)
It is a major law---discussed in college freshman physics
for centuries and real basic to understanding forces and
how things float and weighing stuff in air and water and
you always assign homework problems about it
what do you want, an Albert Principle already?

I think woodysooner is looking for an instance where the first name was used instead of the last. So we're looking for people known by both first and last names.

Finding a Chinese name solution would be cheating - though I don't know any - since they place the family name first.

I can only imagine that solutions can exist among non-western names.

Some of the Laws in the Murphy's Laws Book are named after first names. Scientific ? I'm not so sure...but I'd swear by many of them.

yeah goku that's what i am looking for someone with first and last names but we only call the first name in law. thanx

Nenad said:
I know a chemical law, but it contains both first and last name: Guy Lussac Law. Its a pressure/ temp law.
I'm pretty sure that's the Gay-Lussac Law, and it is his last name. Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac was his name (after a quick search) and his law is the Gay-Lussac Law:

[tex]P_1/T_1 = P_2/T_2[/tex]

Sorry if this was already pointed out.

I should have never mentioned the sonny bono things geez. :biggrin:

1. What is a scientific law named after a first name?

A scientific law named after a first name is a general principle or rule that describes a fundamental aspect of nature or the physical universe, and is named after the scientist who first discovered or described it.

2. What is an example of a scientific law named after a first name?

One example of a scientific law named after a first name is Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. This law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How are scientific laws named after first names different from scientific theories?

Scientific laws named after first names are different from scientific theories in that laws describe and explain a phenomenon or behavior, while theories provide a broader and more comprehensive explanation of a set of related phenomena.

4. Can a scientific law named after a first name ever be proven wrong?

Yes, it is possible for a scientific law named after a first name to be proven wrong. Scientific laws are based on observations and experiments, and as new evidence and technology emerge, they may be revised or replaced by more accurate theories or laws.

5. How are scientific laws named after first names discovered?

Scientific laws named after first names are discovered through the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. Scientists may also build upon previous research and theories to develop new laws and principles.