1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Notation I feel dumb for even asking

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    The problem is attached...

It asks for the answer to be shown in the form a,k. Whereas a is the base number and k is the exponent, with using the form of scientific notation.The answer I came up with was 9.782701624,1. I was told it's wrong and I don't know what the real answer would be then. I figured it out like 10 times.

Any help would be nice. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Too many digits.

All of the numbers are given to 2 places after the decimal.

The answer should be as well. 9.78 x 101
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Thank you Lowly

That was actually like my first answer according to like the rule of thumb of significant figures.

With that answer I got the response..... According to your answer, you got 97.8. Is this correct? Check your calculations.

Ok I just figured it out, they wanted 9.78,0....I hate this program that I have to work with, it sucks majorly.
  5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to give your answer to the same number of significant digits as the numbers in the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?