1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translate into scientific notation?

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    I pretty much know how to solve this problem, but I have a simple question.

The question asks a charge of +45 uC (u is coefficient of friction and C is Columb). Now what would that translate into scientific notation?

Because I know 3 uC equals 3.0 x 10^-6, but what about double figures? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you could write it as 45 x 10-6. standard notation would be 4.5 x 10-5. The mu in the units has nothing to do with the coefficient of friction. It denotes micro which means 1 x 10-6 times the units. In your question for example the units are microcoulombs which are 1 millionth of a coulomb. A micrometer is 1 millionth of a meter.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    why does 3uC equal 3 x 10^-6?

5. Mar 13, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like i've said the u (mu) that joins onto the units means that they are a millionth of a Coulomb. So in SI units 3uC are 3x10-6 Coulomb's. It makes it easier to write down small and large numbers because you don't have to add the x10 stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?