New marine species discovered in Atlantic Ocean depths

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cool Marine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Biology news on Phys.org
Great pix, I especially like the orange sea star.

But I wonder what the scale is. I can't tell if they're as small as my thumbnail, or as big as a bus.
 
lisab said:
Great pix, I especially like the orange sea star.

But I wonder what the scale is. I can't tell if they're as small as my thumbnail, or as big as a bus.
Excellent point. They should give sizes
 
This link states that they are about 4 inches long. I wonder what they eat??

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/deep-seafloor-surprisingly-alive-discoveries-reveal-0323/

EDIT There is a sub link that states:

An odd explosion of wormlike creatures on the ocean floor off the coast of Ireland in the late 1990s had scientists puzzled over the cause. Now research suggests it can be explained by a shift in the food trickling down to the seafloor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The trick may be in raising the creatures from the depths without causing them to explode.
 
I'd have expected one of these things to show up on my doorstep and say "We come from outerspace. Take me to your leader, Earthling".
 
anirudh215 said:
I'd have expected one of these things to show up on my doorstep and say "We come from outerspace. Take me to your leader, Earthling".

... I'd be careful what I said if I were you...
 
Loren Booda said:
The trick may be in raising the creatures from the depths without causing them to explode.
Same way we go down there without imploding.
 
leroyjenkens said:
Same way we go down there without imploding.

mobile pressure environment?