1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists Find 8 New Species in Underground Cave

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know how such ecosystems can sustain themselves? I mean there is no sunlight, no hydrothermal vents, and the whole system is sealed of from the surface by a "thick layer of chalk that was impenetrable to water or exterior nutrients."

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    Actually caves are dug by water and water continuously digs a cave (I'm talking about Carlsbad at least as I do not know if this specific cave recieves water, I assume it does) and nutriets are intoduced as rock dissolve. I think, if I remember correctly, the ecosystem is based on the bacteria that live in the water and feed on these dissolved minerals.

4. Jun 2, 2006 #3
    What types of minerals are disolved into the water?

5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

..and where does the free energy come from?

6. Jun 2, 2006 #5
    Whatever minerals found in the cave, in Carlsbad it was a ton of calcium.

Here's the official site of Carlsbad Caverns, a place definitely worth seeing in person: http://www.nps.gov/cave/

I don't know how they get their energy but I'm sure that all depends on the bacteria. There is bacteria everywhere, even under extreme and nonsensicle conditions.

7. Jun 2, 2006 #6
    Your typical awful science journalism, leaves you dazed and confused.

Here's a possible clue:
    Which suggests mechanisms like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis
    found in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_smokers (volcanic ocean vents)

8. Jun 2, 2006 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean, the free energy comes from the oxidation of (in)organic compounds.

There are different kinds of chemotrophy:
    chemoautotroph- Organism that obtains energy from the oxidation of reduced inorganic compounds or elements and obtains carbon from carbon dioxide.
    chemolithotroph- Organism that obtains energy from the oxidation of inorganic compounds and uses inorganic compounds as electron donors.
    chemoheterotroph- Organism that obtains energy and carbon from the oxidation of organic compounds (we humans).
    chemoorganotroph- Organism that obtains energy and electrons (reducing power) from the oxidation of organic compounds.

9. Jun 2, 2006 #8
    I'm sure that we'll find out more about this in time.

10. Jun 2, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, but the cave was awfully close to a closed sytem, at least as reported. Sooner or later everything oxidizable is in oxide, no?

11. Jun 2, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just to clarify, are they seriously suggesting the whole cycle (including nutrients) is a closed system, or are they merely suggesting that the living part of the ecosystem is closed?

The former would be very hard to prove. Certainly in these early stages, I don't see how they could state it as any more than speculation.

12. Jun 3, 2006 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?