Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists Find 8 New Species in Underground Cave

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know how such ecosystems can sustain themselves? I mean there is no sunlight, no hydrothermal vents, and the whole system is sealed of from the surface by a "thick layer of chalk that was impenetrable to water or exterior nutrients."

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    Actually caves are dug by water and water continuously digs a cave (I'm talking about Carlsbad at least as I do not know if this specific cave recieves water, I assume it does) and nutriets are intoduced as rock dissolve. I think, if I remember correctly, the ecosystem is based on the bacteria that live in the water and feed on these dissolved minerals.

4. Jun 2, 2006 #3
    What types of minerals are disolved into the water?

5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

..and where does the free energy come from?

6. Jun 2, 2006 #5
    Whatever minerals found in the cave, in Carlsbad it was a ton of calcium.

Here's the official site of Carlsbad Caverns, a place definitely worth seeing in person: http://www.nps.gov/cave/

I don't know how they get their energy but I'm sure that all depends on the bacteria. There is bacteria everywhere, even under extreme and nonsensicle conditions.

7. Jun 2, 2006 #6
    Your typical awful science journalism, leaves you dazed and confused.

Here's a possible clue:
    Which suggests mechanisms like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis
    found in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_smokers (volcanic ocean vents)

8. Jun 2, 2006 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean, the free energy comes from the oxidation of (in)organic compounds.

There are different kinds of chemotrophy:
    chemoautotroph- Organism that obtains energy from the oxidation of reduced inorganic compounds or elements and obtains carbon from carbon dioxide.
    chemolithotroph- Organism that obtains energy from the oxidation of inorganic compounds and uses inorganic compounds as electron donors.
    chemoheterotroph- Organism that obtains energy and carbon from the oxidation of organic compounds (we humans).
    chemoorganotroph- Organism that obtains energy and electrons (reducing power) from the oxidation of organic compounds.

9. Jun 2, 2006 #8
    I'm sure that we'll find out more about this in time.

10. Jun 2, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, but the cave was awfully close to a closed sytem, at least as reported. Sooner or later everything oxidizable is in oxide, no?

11. Jun 2, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just to clarify, are they seriously suggesting the whole cycle (including nutrients) is a closed system, or are they merely suggesting that the living part of the ecosystem is closed?

The former would be very hard to prove. Certainly in these early stages, I don't see how they could state it as any more than speculation.

12. Jun 3, 2006 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?