Scientists Say Time is Slowing Down

• Thread starter SF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Spanish scientists have proposed a new hypothesis that suggests time is slowing down, which adds to the already mind-boggling concept that time may be two-dimensional. This theory is based on the idea that time is not a simple line from the past to the future, but rather a curved path in a six-dimensional universe with four dimensions of space and two of time. While some may be skeptical, the persistence of the scientist in their research is admirable. This theory challenges our current understanding of time, but if we do live in a four-dimensional universe, a two-dimensional explanation for time may be worth considering.
SF
Spanish scientists have come up with a new hypothesis on to explain the rate of expansion of the universe: time is - literally - slowing down!

[..]

As if that’s not mind-boggling enough, another scientist had proposed that time is actually two-dimensional:

Time is no longer a simple line from the past to the future, in a four dimensional world consisting of three dimensions of space and one of time. Instead, the physicist envisages the passage of history as curves embedded in a six dimensions, with four of space and two of time.

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/01/20/scientists-say-time-is-slowing-down/

Space news on Phys.org
That's a nice article.

Do you mind me being skeptical?
At least, until they also manage to explain why all the theories we have up until now can describe and predict experiments to arbitrary precision while neglecting an entire dimension; how there can be four space dimensions while any experiment we do tells us there are actually three; and how we could ever measure the slowing down of time (it makes me think of the situation where you go to bed, and the next morning when you wake up the whole universe has scaled down by a factor of 100).

Anyway, I admire his persistence to work on this for over a decade.

If we indeed live in a 4 dimensional universe, then I would certainly entertain a look at a 2dimensional time explanation. I would question the alternative if it weren't for so many nifty equations that match experiments. Three independent spatial dimensions is not really consistent with the fact that information travels at a certain speed, and therefore one could not simultaneaously know about spheres of different radii if one were standing at the center. Time, one the other hand is the one true mystery - always has been. It is irrational in that we say it has no beginning and no end (continuous) yet it is also an interval (discreet). And all the equations do not rule out forward and reverse time, so if someone wants to take another stab at our concept of time, I'm all for it!

1. Why do scientists say time is slowing down?

Scientists have observed that the rate of time in our universe is not constant, and it appears to be slowing down. This phenomenon is known as "time dilation" and is caused by the effects of gravity on space-time.

2. How is time dilation related to the theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the presence of massive objects. This means that the stronger the gravitational pull of an object, the slower time will pass in its vicinity.

3. Does time dilation only occur near massive objects?

No, time dilation can occur in any situation where there is a difference in gravitational potential. For example, time will appear to pass slower at higher altitudes due to the weaker gravitational pull of the Earth.

4. How do scientists measure and confirm these changes in time?

Scientists use precision clocks and atomic clocks to measure the rate of time. By comparing the time recorded by a clock on Earth to a clock in space, they can confirm the effects of time dilation.

5. Could time dilation have any practical applications?

Yes, time dilation is a crucial factor in the accuracy of GPS systems. Without taking into account the effects of time dilation, GPS devices would not be able to accurately determine locations on Earth.