Screwed joint - free body diagram

In summary: I appreciate your response, but please remember that I am an expert summarizer and I am only able to provide a summary of the conversation. Here is the summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of deflection under a uniformly distributed load on a square beam with screwed joints at each end. The equations for a screwed joint are questioned and it is noted that most joints are semi-rigid. The importance of considering the connection detail and the potential for the joint to support a cantilevered load is also mentioned.
tihort

Homework Statement

I have a square beam with a screwed joint at each end. I am trying to determine deflection under a uniformly distributed load.

Homework Equations

- What is a simplified form for the screwed joint? Is it to be assumed fixed at both ends?

The Attempt at a Solution

- The screw joint has 3 force reactions, and 2 moment reactions. A fixed joint has 3 forces and 3 moment reactions.

Physics news on Phys.org
tihort said:

Homework Statement

I have a square beam with a screwed joint at each end. I am trying to determine deflection under a uniformly distributed load.

Homework Equations

- What is a simplified form for the screwed joint? Is it to be assumed fixed at both ends?

- The screw joint has 3 force reactions, and 2 moment reactions. A fixed joint has 3 forces and 3 moment reactions.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

In actuality, most joints are neither simple nor fixed, but somewhere in between (semi-rigid). Some assumptions may have to be made depending on the type connection and connection arrangement. A steel I beam, for example, is often framed into a column using clip angles welded or bolted to the webs, which are in turn bolted to the column with multiple bolts; for analysyis and deflection purposes, due to angle defornations, the beam is considered simply supported. Do you have a sketch of your connection detail? Would you trust the connection at one end to support a cantilevered load with no support at the other? If not, think simple.

PhanthomJay said:
In actuality, most joints are neither simple nor fixed, but somewhere in between (semi-rigid). Some assumptions may have to be made depending on the type connection and connection arrangement. A steel I beam, for example, is often framed into a column using clip angles welded or bolted to the webs, which are in turn bolted to the column with multiple bolts; for analysyis and deflection purposes, due to angle defornations, the beam is considered simply supported. Do you have a sketch of your connection detail? Would you trust the connection at one end to support a cantilevered load with no support at the other? If not, think simple.

Thank you very much PhantomJay!

1. What is a screwed joint?

A screwed joint is a type of mechanical connection between two or more parts using screws. It is used to securely fasten and hold parts together, allowing for disassembly if needed.

2. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes all the external forces acting on the object, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces, and helps in analyzing the equilibrium and motion of the object.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram for a screwed joint?

To draw a free body diagram for a screwed joint, first identify all the forces acting on the joint. This includes the forces applied by the screws, external loads or forces acting on the joint, and any internal forces due to the materials of the joint. Then, draw a simplified diagram of the joint, replacing the actual parts with their equivalent forces.

4. How is a screwed joint analyzed in a free body diagram?

In a free body diagram, the screws in a screwed joint are represented by forces acting in the direction of the screw's axis. The external loads and forces acting on the joint are also included, and the equilibrium of the joint is analyzed by considering the sum of all the forces acting on the joint.

5. What are the benefits of using a free body diagram for a screwed joint?

A free body diagram allows for a clear understanding of the forces and moments acting on a screwed joint. It helps in analyzing the stability and strength of the joint, and can also aid in identifying any potential issues or areas of weakness in the joint design.