1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Screwed joint - free body diagram

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a square beam with a screwed joint at each end. I am trying to determine deflection under a uniformly distributed load.

2. Relevant equations

- What is a simplified form for the screwed joint? Is it to be assumed fixed at both ends?

3. The attempt at a solution

- The screw joint has 3 force reactions, and 2 moment reactions. A fixed joint has 3 forces and 3 moment reactions.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In actuality, most joints are neither simple nor fixed, but somewhere in between (semi-rigid). Some assumptions may have to be made depending on the type connection and connection arrangement. A steel I beam, for example, is often framed into a column using clip angles welded or bolted to the webs, which are in turn bolted to the column with multiple bolts; for analysyis and deflection purposes, due to angle defornations, the beam is considered simply supported. Do you have a sketch of your connection detail? Would you trust the connection at one end to support a cantilevered load with no support at the other? If not, think simple.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much PhantomJay!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?