Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search for a word string - how to.

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Search for a word string -- how to.

I have forgotten how to search for a string of words here using advanced search, e.g. 'Newton's laws" or "electrostatic potential". Could someone please remind me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Re: Search for a word string -- how to.

It seems strange that there is no local way of doing it, like enclosing it in quotes as in Google, or using some other operator, in our own search page. The worst thing is that I can't search for stuff from only one year ago, say. But thanks for the very prompt reply.

Did I mention that your avatar looks more and more like my Principal in school? Well, OK (gulp), I'll do it the way you say, sure, just let me go...:uhh:

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4

Contributors can use boolean searching

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Did you have that guy in "South Park", too? Someone commented a while back that it looks like Mr. Hanky. :rofl:

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Oh no, not Hanky, then I could have flushed him down. You are the generic School Principal, but he never 'rofl'-ed like you. I'm not so scared any more. :cool:

It would be helpful to know exactly what is the boolean operator for searching for a complete phrase.

From post #5, by Greg, in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1537951#post1537951,

"Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform."

Giving the double quotes or parentheses results in OR, and the AND is not what I was looking for. What will give exactly Laplace Transform and nothing else?
    ---​

[(EDIT) I was viewing a saved page...]

On a slightly different note, will the beloved "Forum Jump" ever come back?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

The quotes is phrase searching and it requires boolean permissions. Forum Jump may return sometime in the future.

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The following is the result of "Laplace Transform", within quotes, in advanced search. What am I missing?

===================================================
    vBulletin Message

The search term you specified ("Laplace*Transform") is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
    ===================================================

10. Sep 16, 2008 #9

fixed, try again

11. Sep 16, 2008 #10

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You the man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?