Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search of the Use of Words in Web

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    I would like to ask you about search of the use of the words in Google or other search engines. For example if I want to search how "explain" and" idea" are getting together, how can I search this?

if I write just explain idea in Google there is one in some results but not another. For example one result is "From the fact that a given idea." here as you see there is not explain or explained.

What about trying (explain | explained) idea ?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use double quotes: "explain idea"

It used to be that a + sign before a word expressed the required presence of that word, dunno if that's still the case.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4
  6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

DrClaude

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Feb 20, 2017 #7
    Can you go from 20 to 21 ? Why cannot I ? Because of country difference?

Thank you.

9. Feb 20, 2017 #8
    There are 10 results in each page but isn't going back to 15 still a strange behavior when somebody going from 20 to 21 ?

Thank you.

10. Feb 20, 2017 #9

jedishrfu

It could be. I was able to jump to the next page and the next after that without issue.

I used this version of your search string replacing "google.com.tr" with "google.com"

11. Feb 20, 2017 #10

DrClaude

I clicked on the link you gave, therefore I ended up on Google Turkey. I guess you need to clear you cache or something.

12. Feb 20, 2017 #11

jedishrfu

The posters query references google.com.tr explicitly.

13. Feb 20, 2017 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's definitely something the matter with this website. When I return to p 20 after paging forward to 31 (nonexisting now and then), I get a different list.

14. Feb 20, 2017 #13

jedishrfu

There may be country filtering going on. In China for example, sometimes searches just fail because the page about to be displayed has something controversial on it.

I remember my niece running into trouble when trying to pull up the cornell.edu website in China to apply for college. She would get connection resets because the home page of Cornell had an article about a former student and now Taiwan politician would be visiting the university to give a talk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_China

15. Feb 20, 2017 #14
  16. Feb 20, 2017 #15
    I am not directly interested in their occurance actually but instead interested in how they are used and with what words they collocate. I do not know exactly but I think ngram just gives a graph of use frequency.

Thank you.

17. Feb 25, 2017 #16
    Can the character "|" used in Google?

Thank you.

18. Feb 25, 2017 #17

jedishrfu

I did a simple experiment and it seemed to work

Try Rock | Hudson vs Rock Hudson

The search results are different with Rock Hudson coming up first and then a rock reference and then a Hudson reference.

19. Feb 25, 2017 #18
    But for the search, would "|" and "OR" be the same? If it is the same with "OR", then In what situations can | be used so that it will be helpful for the search?

Thank you.

20. Feb 25, 2017 #19

jedishrfu

I think the or would be interpreted as a word to search on whereas the vertical bar operator is a metacharacter that would be interpreted as the logical or unless it was quoted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted