Search Troubleshooting: No Matches Found for "Einstein

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with the search function on Physics Forums, with the user experiencing no matches found even when searching for a term they have used frequently in the past. The issue is acknowledged and attributed to the ongoing process of switching to a different search engine. Alternative search methods, such as using Google and including "physicsforums" as part of the search, are suggested. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try searching "zoobyshoe einstein site:physicsforums.com" on Google.
zoobyshoe
Every once in a while when I try to search old posts or threads the things tells me there were no matches found. Sometimes that turns out to be because I am not remembering the exact word someone used, but at others it seems to be because the search engine is on strike. I just tried searching "Einstein" for the username "zoobyshoe" and was told there were no matches, despite the fact I must have written it in a hundred posts.

Any ideas about any obvious mistakes I might be making, or does the search engine really have problems sometimes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm aware of this, search is disabled. I'm in the process of switching from vb search to mysql fulltext search and it's taking longer than expected.

Hmmm. What is funny is that I just tried the "Einstein" search again, in case I'd misspelled anything before, and was presented with the above post as the only match. It seems to have lost it's long term memory.

zoobyshoe said:
Hmmm. What is funny is that I just tried the "Einstein" search again, in case I'd misspelled anything before, and was presented with the above post as the only match. It seems to have lost it's long term memory.

Or that I purged the post index yesterday :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm aware of this, search is disabled. I'm in the process of switching from vb search to mysql fulltext search and it's taking longer than expected.
OK. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't me doing something weird I didn't realize.

If you're searching for an older thread (it doesn't always work for something very recent), use google instead. Just include PhysicsForums as part of the search (write it as all one word and it'll match the URL for this site). It works pretty well for me.

Moonbear said:
If you're searching for an older thread (it doesn't always work for something very recent), use google instead. Just include PhysicsForums as part of the search (write it as all one word and it'll match the URL for this site). It works pretty well for me.
You mean like: physicsforumszoobyshoeeinstein ?

zoobyshoe said:
You mean like: physicsforumszoobyshoeeinstein ?
physicsforums zoobyshoe einstein, but I doubt it would pull up all of the posts.

Evo said:
physicsforums zoobyshoe einstein, but I doubt it would pull up all of the posts.
It does a pretty good job. I can usually find the threads I'm looking for that way. Those spiders crawling around here are pretty busy. :biggrin:

Try this instead at google:zoobyshoe einstein site:physicsforums.com

Thanks for the search tips, guys.

Related to Search Troubleshooting: No Matches Found for "Einstein

1. Why am I not getting any results when I search for "Einstein"?

There could be several reasons for this. It is possible that there are no records or documents that mention "Einstein" in the database or search engine you are using. It is also possible that there is a spelling or formatting error in your search query. Lastly, there may be a technical issue with the search function that is preventing it from retrieving results.

2. Can I narrow down my search to only include results related to Albert Einstein?

Yes, you can try adding additional keywords or filters to your search query to specify that you only want results related to Albert Einstein. You can also try using advanced search options, if available, to refine your search.

3. I know for a fact that there are documents about Einstein in this database, why am I not seeing them in my search results?

There could be a few reasons for this. It is possible that the database is not updated regularly and does not contain the latest information about Einstein. It is also possible that the documents you are looking for are not indexed or tagged correctly, making them inaccessible through the search function.

4. How can I troubleshoot and fix the issue of no matches found for "Einstein"?

First, double-check your spelling and formatting in the search query. If that does not yield any results, try using different keywords or filters. If the issue persists, you can contact the database or search engine provider for assistance or try using a different search engine or database altogether.

5. Is it possible that my search results are being restricted or filtered in some way?

Yes, it is possible that the search results are being filtered or restricted based on certain criteria, such as relevance or date. You can try adjusting the search settings or using advanced options to modify the filters and see if that yields different results. If not, it is best to contact the provider for further assistance.