Searching for a Childhood math textbook I remember

• Algebra
  • Thread starter Don Bones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, a 4th grade student found a book of algebra problems and figured out how to solve them. After doing so, he/she became very good at math and now cannot find the book.
Don Bones
I am not sure how other schools advanced in math from kindergarten to middle school, but i recall spending 6 years (K-5) in classes learning arithmetic and identifying shapes. And then 3 years (6-8) in classes learning extremely basic algebra and some geometry. However, when I was in 4th grade, I found a math book that was full of "algebra" problems. It would consist of words being added/subtracted/multiplied to one another making new words, like cat+dog=goat (not a real example from the book). The objective was to figure out what each letter was through reasoning and algebra, and this heavily boosted me in math. I ended up creating algebraic concepts in class solving problems in the book, while other students were just adding fractions. After completing all the problems and advancing several grades, I simply sat and was "taught" everything I had already figured out myself. Now my problem is, I can't find this book! Every time I search "Adding Words" or something of the sort I receive word problems about addition.

If anybody has an idea of the book I'm talking about, it would be HIGHLY appreciated. I am still on the search for this book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need it for yourself or for your kid? :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
For my future son/daughter. I am going to be taking Calc III in a few months so it is not for me.

Here is a most likely useless way to find:
Check with the school or the district and ask. If anybody could find any record of what books were used when and where, just luck. Seems logical, but you might find that nobody kept any records on that. Any existing books from that time and place would have been donated and gone by now (except stored in unknown places, second, third, or fourth hand).

symbolipoint said:
Here is a most likely useless way to find:
Check with the school or the district and ask. If anybody could find any record of what books were used when and where, just luck. Seems logical, but you might find that nobody kept any records on that. Any existing books from that time and place would have been donated and gone by now (except stored in unknown places, second, third, or fourth hand).
I believe it's better to contact the police and lodge a FIR for a missing book. :olduhh:

1. Where can I find a specific childhood math textbook that I remember?

The best place to start searching for a specific childhood math textbook would be online. Websites like Amazon, eBay, or even textbook exchange platforms like Chegg or BookFinder could potentially have the textbook you're looking for.

2. How can I narrow down my search for a specific childhood math textbook?

If you remember any specific details about the textbook, such as the title, author, or edition, you can use these keywords to narrow down your search. Additionally, you can try searching for the textbook by the school or district you attended during your childhood.

3. Is there a way to access old math textbooks from a specific school or district?

Some schools or districts may have archives of old textbooks, but it would be best to contact them directly to inquire about their policies and procedures for accessing these materials. You may also want to reach out to former classmates or teachers who may still have a copy of the textbook.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of the childhood math textbook I remember?

If you are able to find the textbook online or through other means, you can compare it to other sources or materials to verify its accuracy. You can also reach out to experts or professionals in the field of math to confirm the accuracy of the textbook.

5. Is there a way to obtain a digital copy of the childhood math textbook I remember?

Some websites may offer digital versions of textbooks for purchase or rental. You can also check with your local library or university to see if they have access to digital copies of the textbook. If all else fails, you can also try reaching out to the publisher directly to inquire about obtaining a digital copy of the textbook.