1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Searching for a Childhood math textbook I remember

1. Jun 8, 2017 #1
    I am not sure how other schools advanced in math from kindergarten to middle school, but i recall spending 6 years (K-5) in classes learning arithmetic and identifying shapes. And then 3 years (6-8) in classes learning extremely basic algebra and some geometry. However, when I was in 4th grade, I found a math book that was full of "algebra" problems. It would consist of words being added/subtracted/multiplied to one another making new words, like cat+dog=goat (not a real example from the book). The objective was to figure out what each letter was through reasoning and algebra, and this heavily boosted me in math. I ended up creating algebraic concepts in class solving problems in the book, while other students were just adding fractions. After completing all the problems and advancing several grades, I simply sat and was "taught" everything I had already figured out myself. Now my problem is, I can't find this book!!! Every time I search "Adding Words" or something of the sort I receive word problems about addition.

If anybody has an idea of the book I'm talking about, it would be HIGHLY appreciated. I am still on the search for this book.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Do you need it for yourself or for your kid? :smile:

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3
    For my future son/daughter. I am going to be taking Calc III in a few months so it is not for me.

5. Jun 10, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a most likely useless way to find:
    Check with the school or the district and ask. If anybody could find any record of what books were used when and where, just luck. Seems logical, but you might find that nobody kept any records on that. Any existing books from that time and place would have been donated and gone by now (except stored in unknown places, second, third, or fourth hand).

6. Jun 11, 2017 #5
    I believe it's better to contact the police and lodge a FIR for a missing book. :olduhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted