Searching for Psychological Studies

• Medical
  • Thread starter jacksonpeeble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding reliable sources for a report in AP Psychology. The speaker suggested searching for articles that cite their sources and variables tested, but had difficulty finding them without a university affiliation. They were advised to search for specific authors in their field of interest and look for their personal websites where they may have free research publications available. The conversation also mentioned utilizing resources such as Google Scholar and PubMed to find free articles.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
Today I was flipping through Scientific American today to try to find some articles to use for a report that I'm writing in my AP Psychology course. Specifically, I was searching for articles that cite their actual studies, the variables tested, etc. Does anyone know of a good publication (or website) that has this sort of content? I know that they, obviously, exist, but a search at Barnes & Noble and Google didn't yield any immediate results that were of good quality.

Biology news on Phys.org
It can be very difficult to gain access to academic research without a university affiliation. Unless you have such an affiliation it tends to be prohibitively expensive to read the original literature.

Your best bet is to google a particular area of psychology that you are interested in and find the names of some people working in that field. Maybe the authors of the scientific american articles you've been interested in would work for this. Then you can search for the individual people. You'll find that most of them will have websites where they have posted pdfs of their own research publications which you will be able to download for free.

Have you tried this http://scholar.google.co.uk/ .

I had the same problem I had to get someone at university to get me free research papers off psychology journal sites.

Can you not go to the univ library and read them there?

I'm in high school, merely taking college classes. :-)

Thanks for that Google link, it looks like it has some of what I'm searching for!

Also, thank you for the advice, Cincinnatus, that's what I ended up doing and the editors were very helpful in getting me information.

JorgeLobo said:
Can you not go to the univ library and read them there?

you can do that here in alabama. lister hill medical library at UAB is public access, and i assume many other taxpayer-funded institutions are the same.

You can try searching http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=search&db=pubmed" , there are articles that are freely available. When you click to see the abstract there should be an icon that will tell you whether it is free or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of searching for psychological studies?

The purpose of searching for psychological studies is to gather information and evidence related to a specific topic in psychology. This can help researchers or practitioners to better understand a particular phenomenon or to support their arguments and theories.

2. Where can I find psychological studies?

Psychological studies can be found in a variety of sources such as academic databases, online journals, and research institutions' websites. It is important to use reliable and credible sources to ensure the validity and accuracy of the information.

3. How can I narrow down my search for psychological studies?

To narrow down your search for psychological studies, you can use specific keywords or phrases related to your topic, select a specific time frame, and filter your search by type of study (e.g. experimental, correlational, case study). You can also limit your search to a particular population or geographic location.

4. How do I determine the credibility of a psychological study?

To determine the credibility of a psychological study, you can look at the source of the study (e.g. reputable journal or institution), the authors' credentials and affiliations, the methodology used, and the results and conclusions drawn. It is also helpful to look at the study's references and see if they are from other reputable sources.

5. Can I use psychological studies as evidence in my own research?

Yes, you can use psychological studies as evidence in your own research as long as you properly cite and reference the study. It is important to critically evaluate the study and consider its limitations before using it as evidence in your own work.