Second derivative and inflection points

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the graph of g has a point of inflection at x=4, and if a point of inflection can exist where f''(x) does not exist. The definition of an inflection point is also mentioned. The conclusion is that the graph of g does have an inflection point at x=4, as its concavity changes from positive to negative at that point.
i_love_science
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 1.10.45 AM.png

Q: See f(t) in graph below. Does the graph of g have a point of inflection at x=4?

There is a corner at x=4, so I don't think there is a point of inflection. Does a point of inflection exist where f''(x) does not exist? The solution says there is a point of inflection, could anyone explain why? Thanks.

graph.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It is all about the meaning of inflection point. In my understanding, and in accordance to Wikipedia,...
In differential calculus and differential geometry, an inflection point, point of inflection, flex, or inflection (British English: inflexion) is a point on a smooth plane curve at which the curvature changes sign.
... it is a point where the curvature changes signs. However, the curvature left of ##x=4## is zero, as it is on the right of ##x=4##. Curvature does not change at ##x=4##. So, yes, we need differentiability.

Likes i_love_science
i_love_science said:
There is a corner at x=4, so I don't think there is a point of inflection. Does a point of inflection exist where f''(x) does not exist? The solution says there is a point of inflection, could anyone explain why?
@i_love_science, yes, there is a corner at x = 4 in the graph of f, but the question is asking about the graph of g.
Assuming that the edges in the graph of f are straight line segments, it's not difficult to find the equations of those segments, and then to calculate the integrals.

For ##x \in [0, 4]##, ##g(x) = \int_0^x~f(t)dt = x^2 - 4x - 4##. This is a parabola that opens upward, so the concavity is positive on this interval.

For ##x \in [4, 8]##, ##g(x) = \int_4^x~f(t)dt = -x^2 + 12x - 32##. This is a parabola that opens downward, so the concavity is negative on this interval. Since the concavity changes at x = 4, there is an inflection point in the graph of g.

1. What is a second derivative?

A second derivative is the derivative of a derivative. In other words, it is the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. It measures how quickly the slope of a function is changing at a specific point.

2. How is the second derivative used to find inflection points?

The second derivative can be used to find inflection points by setting it equal to zero and solving for the x-values. These x-values correspond to points where the concavity of the function changes, indicating an inflection point.

3. What is the relationship between the second derivative and the concavity of a function?

The sign of the second derivative at a point determines the concavity of the function at that point. A positive second derivative indicates a concave up function, while a negative second derivative indicates a concave down function. A zero second derivative indicates a point of inflection.

4. Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. This occurs when the concavity of the function changes multiple times, resulting in multiple points where the second derivative is equal to zero.

5. How are inflection points used in real-world applications?

Inflection points can be used in real-world applications to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions. For example, in economics, inflection points can be used to determine the optimal level of production for a company. In physics, inflection points can be used to analyze the acceleration of an object and determine when it changes direction.