Critical points of second derivative

In summary, if the second derivative of a function hits zero but does not change sign, it indicates a point where the third derivative changes sign, known as "jerk". Additionally, if the second derivative is strictly positive except at a single point, the function is considered strictly convex in an interval around that point.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
By finding the critical points of f' (x) (point where f'(x) = 0 or f'(x) is undefined) and constructing the sign diagram for f', we can find point of relative maxima, relative minima and horizontal inflection of f

Using the same method for f", we can also find point where the concavity of f will change
If the sign on the sign diagram of f" changes from positive to negative or from negative to positive, this means the critical points of f" is non-horizontal inflection of f

But what about if the sign does not change? Let say f"(x) = 0 when ##x = a## and from sign diagram of f", the sign on the left and right of ##a## is both positive, what information can we get regarding point ##x=a## ? Is there a certain term to name that point?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the second derivative hits zero but doesn't change sign, that means the third derivative changed sign.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_derivative

Vs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_derivativ

As you can probably tell from the lack of content, people don't care that much about the third derivative.

Likes songoku
The curvature is in the same direction on both sides of a point that has a zero curvature only at that point. I have never heard a mathematical name for that. I would say that the function is concave but not strictly concave (or convex but not strictly convex) around that point. Of course, if the sign of the second derivative changes, it is an inflection point.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
As you can probably tell from the lack of content, people don't care that much about the third derivative.
The third derivative of position is "jerk", which can be significant sometimes.

FactChecker said:
The curvature is in the same direction on both sides of a point that has a zero curvature only at that point. I have never heard a mathematical name for that. I would say that the function is concave but not strictly concave (or convex but not strictly convex) around that point. Of course, if the sign of the second derivative changes, it is an inflection point.
If f'' is strictly positive except at a single point, I think f is strictly convex in an interval around that point. Convexity isn't defined by the second derivative being positive, it's just a useful test.

Equivalently and easier to think about, the function ##x^3## is strictly increasing even though the derivative is zero at one point.

Likes songoku and FactChecker
Office_Shredder said:
If f'' is strictly positive except at a single point, I think f is strictly convex in an interval around that point. Convexity isn't defined by the second derivative being positive, it's just a useful test.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Thank you very much Office_Shredder and FactChecker

1. What is a critical point of the second derivative?

A critical point of the second derivative is a point where the rate of change of the first derivative changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. This means that the slope of the original function changes from positive to negative or negative to positive at this point.

2. How do you find the critical points of the second derivative?

To find the critical points of the second derivative, you must first find the second derivative of the original function. Then, set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting values of x are the critical points of the second derivative.

3. What is the significance of critical points of the second derivative?

The critical points of the second derivative can help determine the concavity of the original function. If the second derivative is positive at a critical point, the original function is concave up at that point. If the second derivative is negative, the original function is concave down at that point.

4. Can a critical point of the second derivative also be a critical point of the first derivative?

Yes, it is possible for a critical point of the second derivative to also be a critical point of the first derivative. This occurs when the rate of change of the first derivative is changing at that point, indicating a change in the concavity of the original function.

5. How do critical points of the second derivative relate to inflection points?

Critical points of the second derivative and inflection points are closely related. Inflection points occur when the concavity of the original function changes, and this change is indicated by a critical point of the second derivative. However, not all critical points of the second derivative are inflection points, as they can also indicate points of zero slope or points of maximum or minimum curvature.