Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Derivative Test for Partial Derivatives

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    Hi there, just wanted to make a clarification before my final exam.

The second derivative test for partial derivatives (or at least part of it) states

if D = ∂2f/∂x2 * ∂2f/∂y2 - (∂2f/∂x∂y)2 and (a,b) is a critical point of f, then

a) if D(a,b) > 0 and ∂2f/∂x2 < 0, then there is a local max at (a,b)

b)if D(a,b) > 0 and ∂2f/∂x2 > 0, then there is a local min at (a,b)

and the other two parts are irrelevant for my question. My question is, do I have to specifically check that ∂2f/∂x2 is positive or negative, or can I check that ∂2f/∂y2 is positive or negative instead? i.e. does it really matter which one I check? Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Clearly, [itex]\left(\partial^2 f/\partial x\partial y\right)^2[/itex] is positive and you are subtracting it from [itex]\left(\partial^2f/\partial x^2\right)\left(\partial^2 f/\partial y^2\right)[/itex]. In order that the difference be positive, [itex]\left(\partial^2f/\partial x^2\right)\left(\partial^2 f/\partial y^2\right)[/itex] must be positive which means that [itex]\partial^2f/\partial x^2[/itex] and [itex]\partial^2 f/\partial y^2[/itex] must have the same sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook