Multivariable calculus problem involving partial derivatives along a surface

sss1
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
NA
I just wanted to know if my solution to part (b) is correct. Here's what I did:
I took the partial derivative with respect to x and y, which gave me
{font:{family:Arial,color:#000000,size:11},aid:null,backgroundColor:#ffffff,id:11,code:$$\\frac{-x}{\\left(x^{2}+y^{2}\\right)^{3/2}},\\,\\frac{-y}{\\left(x^{2}+y^{2}\\right)^{3/2}}$$,type:$$,ts:1695899323324,cs:mLppUJ1pren6kF2+GAN3Fw==,size:{width:192,height:40}}
respectively.
Then I computed the partial derivatives at (-3,4) which gave me 3/125 for partial derivative wrt x and -4/125 for partial derivative wrt y
Then since directional derivative requires a direction, I just chose an arbitrary one, uhat=(a,b)
since u is a unit vector that means sqrt(a^2+b^2)=1, or a^2+b^2=1.
I then solved for a, which is the plus minus of sqrt(1-b^2).

I just chose to use the positive answer here instead.
So the directional derivative is 3sqrt(1-b^2)/125-4b/125
To maximise this I took the derivative, which is -3b/125sqrt(1-b^2)-4/125
I set it to 0 and solved for b, which gave me -4/5.
So there is a local maximum for the directional derivative at b=-4/5 (I evaluated the second derivative and it was positive).
So that means on both sides of b=-4/5 the directional derivative decreases.
Subsituting b=-0.8 into my formula for a, a=sqrt(1-b^2), gives me a=0.6
So the directional derivative should be a maximum in the direction given by the unit vector (0.6, -0.8, 0) with magnitude 0.6(3/125)-0.8(-4/125) which is 0.04?

Although I didn't try the negative answer for a, a=-sqrt(1-b^2), I believe that this will yield a smaller answer because if a is negative, then a negative number times a positive number (3/125) will decrease the answer overall? Is my logic correct?
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 20.43.41.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient of a function evaluated at a point tells you the direction in which the function increases most rapidly at that point. This would give you the answer more quickly.

Likes DeBangis21
PeroK said:
The gradient of a function evaluated at a point tells you the direction in which the function increases most rapidly at that point. This would give you the answer more quickly.
Can you explain how to do it using this method?

sss1 said:
Can you explain how to do it using this method?
You could have just plugged ##x = -3, y = 4## into the derivative you calculated.

PeroK said:
You could have just plugged ##x = -3, y = 4## into the derivative you calculated.
derivative as in df/dt?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
sss1 said:
derivative as in df/dt?
Look up what gradient means for a multi-variable function.

PeroK said:
Look up what gradient means for a multi-variable function.
f_x(x,y)i+f_y(x,y)j? I plugged in (-3,4) and it gave me (3/125, -4/125)

sss1 said:
f_x(x,y)i+f_y(x,y)j? I plugged in (-3,4) and it gave me (3/125, -4/125)
But isn't that the gradient at (-3,4)? How is that the direction f increases most rapidly?

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It involves studying the behavior of these functions and their derivatives in multiple dimensions.

What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are derivatives that are calculated with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In multivariable calculus, they are used to measure the rate of change of a function along a specific direction.

What is a surface in multivariable calculus?

A surface in multivariable calculus is a two-dimensional object in three-dimensional space. It can be described by a function with two independent variables, and its partial derivatives can be used to calculate the slope of the surface in any direction.

How are partial derivatives along a surface calculated?

To calculate partial derivatives along a surface, we use the chain rule. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable and then multiplying them by the corresponding partial derivatives of the surface's parametric equations.

Why are partial derivatives along a surface important?

Partial derivatives along a surface are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function on a curved surface. They can be used to optimize functions and solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve multiple variables and surfaces.