Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second derivatives using implicit differentiation

1. Oct 17, 2010 #1
    Hi there. Well, I wanted to know how to find the second derivatives of a function using implicit differentiation. Is it possible? I think it is. I think I must use the chain rule somehow, but I don't know how... I'm in multivariable calculus since the function I'm gonna use could be seen as a function of only one variable.

An ellipse: [tex]F(x,y)=4x^2+y^2-25=0[/tex]

So we have the partial derivatives:
    [tex]F_x=8x[/tex], [tex]F_y=2y[/tex]
    [tex]F_{xx}=8[/tex], [tex]F_{yy}=2[/tex]

So then, using implicit differentiation:

[tex]\frac{{\partial x}}{{\partial y}}=-\displaystyle\frac{\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial y}}}{\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial x}}}=\displaystyle\frac{-y}{4x}[/tex]

But now if I wanna find [tex]\frac{{\partial^2 x}}{{\partial y^2}}[/tex] how should I proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I believe you're going about this in the wrong way, since partial derivatives are not required.

If 4x2 + y2 + 25 = 0,
    then 8x + 2y*y' = 0 ==> y' = -4x/y

To get y'', simply take the derivative with respect to x of -4x/y, using the quotient rule and the chain rule.

4. Oct 18, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Or, much the same way, but, I think, a bit more in keeping with the spirit of "implicit differentiation", from [itex]4x^2+ y^2+ 25= 0[/itex], [itex]8x+ 2y y'= 0[/itex] and differentiating again, [itex]8+ 2y'(y')+ 2yy"=[/itex][itex] 8+ 2y'^2+ 2yy"= 0[/itex] and solve that for y".

5. Oct 18, 2010 #4
    Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook