1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second master degree in Physics?

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I just would like to ask that I took my master degree in physics at Stockholm Uni. Although my research was great (first author of a paper in top ranked journal ),my gpa was terrible. I am not sure but It is something like 2.62(When I convert it via website wes.org). I applied Phd in US but I did not get any acceptance. What should I do? Should I apply for a second master degree in Physics in US?

Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2
    WES grade conversions in general aren't very "accurate". By it's metrics, a very top student at my university in Spain (who has grades good enough to receive several scholarships throughout the degree) has a 3.1 GPA, which is dismal in the US. Comparing grades from widely different education systems is very tricky.

If you already have a MS degree, why not try applying to phd positions in the EU. You are qualified for many of them and it makes more sense in your situation. If you're bent on applying to the US, I would probably concentrate on getting a very high score on the GRE's and applying to a variety middle tier schools with specific research foci in mind.

4. May 10, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the reply. I took my bachelor in some university at Turkey. Do you know that which university do you suggest in EU for the Phd? And I applied Carnegie Mellon,Purdue,Rochester in US but I did not get any acceptance. I think they are also middle tier, right?

I also need to say that I forgot Canadian Universities already since they want an 3.5 gpa for the master to get into Phd.

Thank you.

5. May 10, 2013 #4
    There are many, look around. Try any country except the UK, as you will require 3 years of residency in order to qualify for a phd studentship.

Applying to only 3 schools is not enough, especially as an international student. Aim for high scores on the GRE's (900+) and try applying to a dozen universities next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook