Second moment of area about the horizontal axis

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the second moment of area of a beam and finding local variables for calculating shear flow and shear centre. The method of dividing the beam into parts and adding the moment of area of each part is suggested, and the resulting calculation is confirmed to be correct. The process of finding local variables and calculating shear centre is also mentioned.
vtaela
Could someone help me on how to calculate the second moment of area of the beam in the figure below?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1362933459.410910.jpg

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
hi vtaela! :wink:

divide it into parts, and add the moment of area of each part

show us what you get :smile:

my calculations give me 172.8 *10^6 mm^4

is that correct?

thank you

vtaela: Excellent work. Your answer is correct.

I am trying to find my local variables in order to calculate the shear flow! I have the local variables as shown below! Are my local variables set correct?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363000995.952013.jpg

Thank you

Looks reasonable.

I finished with this, look similar to what you got?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 378
Working out of ixx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 399
Flow diagram and calculation of s1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 371
Calc of s2, s3 and s6. The first picture i posted is calc for s4 and final value. Any idea how to do shear centre?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 363

Related to Second moment of area about the horizontal axis

1. What is the second moment of area about the horizontal axis?

The second moment of area about the horizontal axis, also known as the moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending or rotation about an axis parallel to the horizon.

2. How is the second moment of area about the horizontal axis calculated?

The second moment of area about the horizontal axis is calculated by multiplying the area of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the importance of the second moment of area about the horizontal axis in engineering and design?

The second moment of area about the horizontal axis is important in engineering and design because it helps determine an object's structural integrity and ability to resist bending and buckling under external forces.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the second moment of area about the horizontal axis?

The distribution of mass has a direct impact on the second moment of area about the horizontal axis. Objects with more mass concentrated further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore be more resistant to bending.

5. How can the second moment of area about the horizontal axis be used to optimize structural designs?

The second moment of area about the horizontal axis can be used in structural design to determine the most efficient and effective placement of materials to resist bending and maximize strength. This can help create more stable and durable structures.