1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second quantization of field operators

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (from "Advanced Quantum Mechanics", by Franz Schwabl)
    Show, by verifying the relation
    [tex]\[n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'})|\phi\rangle\][/tex],
    that the state
    [tex]\[|\phi\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})|0\rangle\][/tex]
    ([tex]\[|0\rangle =\][/tex]vacuum state) describes a particle with the position [tex]\bold{x'}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    The particle density operator [tex]n(\bold{x})[/tex] is defined as
    [tex]n(\bold{x}) = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})\psi(\bold{x})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Acting on the given state with the particle density operator, I got
    [tex]n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})\psi(\bold{x})\psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})|0\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})(\delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'}) \pm \psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})\psi(\bold{x}))|0\rangle[/tex]
    by the (fermion) boson (anti-)commutation rules. Since [tex]\psi(\bold{x})[/tex] annihilates the vacuum:
    [tex]n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'})\psi^\dagger(\bold{x})|0\rangle[/tex]

which looks like the given equation, but [tex]\psi^\dagger(\bold{x})|0\rangle[/tex] describes a particle at the position [tex]\bold{x}[/tex].
    Integrating the last equation in [tex]\bold{x}[/tex] gives back the original state [tex]|\phi\rangle[/tex], though.

I'm not sure wheter I misunderstood something or it's just a matter of interpretation.
    Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    The delta function is only non-zero when x = x', so you are free to set these two parameters equal outside the delta function.

So remember: [tex]\delta(x-y) f(y) = \delta(x-y) f(x)[/tex]. We can just pretend x and y are equal outside the delta function. The expression is zero anyway when x and y are not equal.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Ah... thanks! I kinda thought that, but was afraid of being lousy. I try to keep my physics as mathematically rigorous as possible, so sometimes I run into those little issues. (:

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook