Second year physics homework, thought I was capable and now am simply frustrated

In summary, The problem is to determine the Moment of a given force about point O, which is the same as the torque exerted by the force about point O. This can be calculated using the formula \vec{M}_0=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}\, where \vec{r} is a position vector from point O to the line of action of the force. The vectors \vec{r} and \vec{F} can be determined from the given geometry in the figure.
AloneWeSink
So I told my sister I could help her with her physics homework, having an old computer engineering degree, and this first problem she sends me has me stumped. If anyone is willing to help this busy and forgetful young man help his sister I would be immensely appreciative. Thank you in advance.

1. Homework Statement [/b]
Hibbler.ch4.p42.jpg

Determine the Moment of this force about point O.

Physics news on Phys.org
AloneWeSink said:
So I told my sister I could help her with her physics homework, having an old computer engineering degree, and this first problem she sends me has me stumped. If anyone is willing to help this busy and forgetful young man help his sister I would be immensely appreciative. Thank you in advance.

1. Homework Statement [/b]
[ IMG] http://session.masteringengineering.com/problemAsset/1529323/3/Hibbler.ch4.p42.jpg[/PLAIN]
Determine the Moment of this force about point O.
The Moment of F about point O is the same thing as the torque that force F exerts about point O.

It's given by [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \vec{M}_0=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}\,, \ [/itex] where [itex]\ \vec{r}\ [/itex] is a position vector from point O to the line of action of force [itex]\ \vec{F}\ .[/itex] For example you could take r to be [itex]\ \vec{r}=\vec{OA}\ .[/itex]

You will need to construct [itex]\ \vec{r}\ [/itex] and [itex]\ \vec{F}\ [/itex] from the geometry of the situation as shown in the figure.

What topics are commonly covered in second year physics homework?

In second year physics, common topics include classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and quantum mechanics.

Why am I struggling with my second year physics homework?

Physics is a challenging subject that requires a strong foundation of mathematical and scientific concepts. It is common for students to struggle with the material as it can be complex and abstract. It is important to seek help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with your homework.

How can I improve my understanding of the material?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of physics. Make sure to study regularly and review your notes and textbook. It may also be helpful to work on practice problems and seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups.

What should I do if I am unable to complete my homework?

If you are unable to complete your homework, it is important to communicate with your professor. They may be able to provide additional resources or offer extra help outside of class. It is also important to prioritize your time and make sure to ask for help when needed.

Is it normal to feel frustrated with physics homework?

Yes, it is normal to feel frustrated with physics homework. As mentioned, physics is a challenging subject and it is common to struggle with the material. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed. With practice and determination, you will be able to overcome any frustration and improve your understanding of the subject.