1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second year physics homework, thought I was capable and now am simply frustrated!

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    So I told my sister I could help her with her physics homework, having an old computer engineering degree, and this first problem she sends me has me stumped. If anyone is willing to help this busy and forgetful young man help his sister I would be immensely appreciative. Thank you in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Hibbler.ch4.p42.jpg
    Determine the Moment of this force about point O.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Moment of F about point O is the same thing as the torque that force F exerts about point O.

It's given by [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \vec{M}_0=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}\,, \ [/itex] where [itex]\ \vec{r}\ [/itex] is a position vector from point O to the line of action of force [itex]\ \vec{F}\ .[/itex] For example you could take r to be [itex]\ \vec{r}=\vec{OA}\ .[/itex]

You will need to construct [itex]\ \vec{r}\ [/itex] and [itex]\ \vec{F}\ [/itex] from the geometry of the situation as shown in the figure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook