Seeking for suggestion on thesis selection

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's search for a thesis topic for their graduate degree in a quantum-related group. They have a background in electrical and computational engineering and are looking for a topic that involves more engineering than pure physics. They asked for suggestions and were advised to choose a topic that has good advancement prospects and to speak with potential supervisors. However, their discussion with their current supervisor did not go well as they only suggested pure quantum physics topics. The speaker is now seeking a topic that combines physics with algorithm, coding, and program approaches, but is unsure which fields to focus on.
DetectiveT
Hello everyone, it's not really a technical issue, I just got into a graduate course, for a master degree, and I have to decide a thesis to work on. This group is quantum related, they do some quantum material research with computer on paper only, no other experimental equipment at all.
And...most of my background is under electrical and computational engineering, I am trying to find a topic that is not involving too much pure physics, but more about engineering,. I am currently doing research on it, but I thought it might be a good idea to seek for some suggestions here as well.
Please, any suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick the one with the better advancement prospects for your institution and comfort level. Since this is very personal, we cannot really advise you.
The supervisor is most important here... most supervisors are happy to talk to prospective students: ask.

Simon Bridge said:
Pick the one with the better advancement prospects for your institution and comfort level. Since this is very personal, we cannot really advise you.
The supervisor is most important here... most supervisors are happy to talk to prospective students: ask.
Thanks, well...the discussion with supervisor did not went too well, he is suggesting only pure quantum physics topics, as I hope to touch more computational engineering. Anyway, I am seeking for a topic that is somehow a little related to physics, but most of this work is dealing with algorithm, coding and program approaching. I am doing some searching, but not quite sure which fields are the right direction.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a thesis topic?

When selecting a thesis topic, it is important to consider your interests, the availability of resources and data, the relevance to your field of study, and the feasibility of completing the project within the allotted time frame.

2. How do I identify a gap in the existing research to base my thesis on?

You can identify a gap in the existing research by conducting a thorough literature review. This involves reading relevant studies and identifying areas that have not been extensively studied or where conflicting findings exist.

3. Can I change my thesis topic after it has been approved?

It is possible to change your thesis topic after it has been approved, but it is important to consult with your advisor and the relevant department or committee before making any changes. This will ensure that the new topic is feasible and aligns with the requirements of your program.

4. Should I choose a topic that has not been extensively researched?

It is not necessary to choose a topic that has not been extensively researched. In fact, building upon existing research can strengthen your thesis and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic. However, it is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and can contribute new insights to.

5. How can I ensure that my chosen thesis topic is manageable?

To ensure that your chosen thesis topic is manageable, it is important to break it down into smaller, more specific research questions. This will help you focus your research and ensure that you are able to complete the project within the given time frame. Additionally, regularly communicating with your advisor can help you stay on track and make any necessary adjustments to the scope of your topic.