Should I Choose Physics or Physical Chemistry for My MSc Thesis?

In summary, the speaker is currently in their first year of a MSc in physical chemistry and is deciding on a topic for their thesis. They have recently realized that their interests lie more on the side of physics and have a background in organic and inorganic chemistry, atomic and molecular physics, and computational modelling. Their supervisor has assured them that doing a PhD in physics is possible with their background and they are specifically interested in quantum materials and experimental condensed matter physics. They are considering a fundamental topic for their thesis and have the option to do an internship in a physics lab at a prominent university in the US. They are concerned about job prospects and whether focusing on physics will limit their options. They have received advice to choose physics for more flexibility and know
vitom001
I'm currently in my first year of a MSc in physical chemistry and in the process of deciding what topic to choose for my thesis (most likely starting around april). I think my personal interests lie more on the side of physics than chemistry (I have only become sure of it this year). My background includes organic and inorganic chemistry, atomic and molecular physics including analytical techniques, (statistical) thermodynamics, some quantum mechanics as well as computational modelling. I have talked to my supervisor and he tells me that doing a PhD in physics with my background is definitely possible if I focus my thesis and internship (both are part of my MSc and together take up 1 year) on that direction. I would be specifically interested in quantum materials/atomic-molecular and experimental condensed matter physics.
Now, for my thesis topic I am inclined to work on quite a fundamental topic: glass transition physics - both theory/modelling and experimental, and for my internship my supervisor has assured me he can get me a position in the physics lab of a quite prominent university in the US. However, I still have time to choose a more physical-chemical subject if I want to, nothing is decided yet. The concern is quite a common one - whether following my personal interests will enable me to get a job later (i hear experimental condensed matter physics is currently well funded) and if choosing a more fundamental subject will close some doors for me jobwise (e.g. commercial work on a chemistry topic that I didn't focus on during my thesis/internship but for which I have the background). Thanks for answering, L.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would choose physics since it gives you more flexibility in general. When I was in undergrad I did research on the far physics side of a theoretical physical chemistry group. The PI had actually gotten his phd in physics and chemistry with a physics PI and a lot of the postdocs had done their PhD in physics. I also know several students in my grad program working with chemistry professors. A lot of physics grad programs really encourage interdisciplinary research so you can work with professors in a lot of different departments.

Related to Should I Choose Physics or Physical Chemistry for My MSc Thesis?

1. What is the difference between physics and physical chemistry?

Physics is a branch of science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It deals with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works. Physical chemistry, on the other hand, is a subfield of chemistry that combines principles of physics and chemistry to study the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level.

2. How are physics and physical chemistry related?

Physics and physical chemistry are closely related as they both deal with the fundamental properties and behavior of matter. Physical chemistry uses the principles of physics to explain the chemical phenomena observed in experiments, while physics uses the data and observations from physical chemistry to develop and test theories and laws.

3. What are some real-world applications of physics and physical chemistry?

Physics and physical chemistry have numerous real-world applications in areas such as engineering, medicine, materials science, and environmental science. Some examples include the development of new materials for renewable energy, understanding and treating diseases at a molecular level, and studying the effects of pollutants on the environment.

4. What skills are needed to study physics and physical chemistry?

To study physics and physical chemistry, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and scientific principles. Other useful skills include data analysis, laboratory techniques, and computer programming.

5. Can physics and physical chemistry be applied together to solve problems?

Yes, physics and physical chemistry can be applied together to solve complex problems. For example, the principles of physics and physical chemistry are used in the development of new technologies such as nanotechnology and biotechnology, which have numerous applications in various fields.