Seeking Physics Undergrad Thesis Problem

In summary, an undergraduate student is currently enrolled in a Physics degree program and is required to complete a thesis. They are not well-versed in experimental physics and their university lacks necessary equipment. They have been studying theoretical and computational physics and have expressed interest in topics such as Quantum Mechanics and Relativity. Their potential adviser suggested they work on a topic in Relativistic Astrophysics, but has not provided specific ideas. The student is seeking suggestions from others and plans to approach their adviser again in the future.
Conclaude
Hi, I'm an undergraduate, currently enrolled in a degree program for Physics. Part of the requirements of the program is—you guessed it—a thesis.

Now, I'm not really good with experimental physics, and aside from that, the university I'm currently enrolled at doesn't really have much equipment. So, I was thinking something more on the theoretical side, or probably the numerical/computational side.

So far, in the program, I've studied the fundamentals (Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics, etc.), and I've enrolled in courses dealing with Mathematical Methods, and only recently, I've studied Special Relativity and the basics of Quantum Mechanics.

I know that this part—choosing the topic—is meant to encourage independent thinking, and so to narrow it down, I've actually tried researching further on some broad fields that I am interested in, (Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, Relativistic Electromagnetism, etc.), and that's what I've been doing for the past few months. Recently, I've started studying General Relativity in more detail.

I've approached a potential thesis adviser with the idea that I'm more interested in Relativity, and she suggested that I search for a good topic in Relativistic Astrophysics.

So, here's the question. Can anyone point me to any direction in which I might find a potential problem that I could study for my thesis? Due to the suggestion given by the potential adviser, my prioritized field is Relativistic Astrophysics, but if you guys might be able to suggest a problem that is still in line with the interests I've mentioned above, that would still be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are YOU searching for a problem? You should discuss with an advisor and your advisor should suggest possible topics.

Hi there! Thanks for responding. :D

I did approach an adviser, but all she suggested was that I work on Relativistic Astrophysics. She also supplied me with some references that I could use to study General Relativity, and told me to continue studying. The only problem is that she hasn't really pointed me to a particular problem that I can work on, but it's only natural since it's part of the university policy to allow us to select our own topic. I suppose I'll approach her again when I start running out of options, but since I'm here anyway, and I still have a month for my preparations for my thesis proposal, I thought I would try searching independently for now. Any suggestions? :)

Last edited:
Try another advisor that will be more helpful.

Something you could try if you're looking for inspiration is to see if there are any thesis reports from previous students available. Not only would that give you some ideas, but it would also provide a template for how much work you can realistically expect to get done. (A lot of students and sometimes supervisors over-estimate what's possible.) You might also try looking at MSc theses if those are done at your school. If possible you can try talking with graduate students and ask them what they did, or what they've seen done that was successful at your school.

I tend to agree with the advice above:

Advisers should be able to provide a list of possible topics that are novel and within the capabilities of a given undergraduate student.

My colleagues and I maintain a list of ideas and topics with broad appeal. A student can just pick one, or after consideration and research, come up with a related idea.

Alright guys, thank you so much. I guess I'll approach her again, and maybe post a new thread when I have further questions. :)

1. What is the purpose of a physics undergraduate thesis?

A physics undergraduate thesis is a research project that allows students to apply their knowledge and skills in physics to investigate a specific problem or topic of interest. It is an opportunity for students to showcase their abilities and contribute to the field of physics.

2. How do I choose a topic for my physics undergraduate thesis?

Choosing a topic for your physics undergraduate thesis can be a challenging task. Some students may already have a specific area of interest, while others may need to explore different options. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and has enough research material available to support your investigation.

3. What are some tips for finding a physics undergraduate thesis problem?

One tip for finding a physics undergraduate thesis problem is to read research papers and articles in physics journals to identify current topics and areas of research. You can also consult with your professors and peers for potential ideas or areas that interest you. Additionally, attending conferences and seminars can also provide valuable insights and help you identify potential thesis problems.

4. How do I narrow down my research topic for my physics undergraduate thesis?

Once you have identified a general topic for your physics undergraduate thesis, it is important to narrow it down to a specific research problem or question. This can be done by conducting a literature review, consulting with your supervisor, and refining your research goals and objectives. It is essential to choose a focused and manageable topic that will allow you to complete your thesis within the given timeframe.

5. What is the role of a supervisor in the process of seeking a physics undergraduate thesis problem?

Your supervisor plays a crucial role in the process of seeking a physics undergraduate thesis problem. They will provide guidance and support in choosing a topic, narrowing down your research question, and developing a research plan. They will also assist you in accessing resources and provide feedback throughout the research process to help you complete a high-quality thesis.