Seeking outstanding, original psychology videos online

In summary, the most profound and original psychological experiment/lecture video that was recommended was Dan Ariely's TED talk on the topic of whether we are in control of our own decisions. Ariely, who is a psychology professor at MIT and has a unique appearance due to severe burns, shares his fascinating insights on human behavior and decision-making. The conversation also mentions his book, which was highly recommended.
Loren Booda
Please relate to me the most profound and original psychological experiment (or lecture) video you have encountered online (less than twenty minutes and at least graduate level, please).

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Please relate to me the most profound and original psychological experiment (or lecture) video you have encountered online (less than twenty minutes and at least graduate level, please).
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_asks_are_we_in_control_of_our_own_decisions.html

Dan Ariely was badly burned as a young person and required extensive skin grafts. So his appearance is not usual. He looks unfamiliar. But he does psychology at MIT and he is brilliant and he gives a very fascinating talk. There is another Ariely TED talk online too, but try this one.

How coincidental! Or as Ariely would say, predictable. I saw this video for the first time this week. Thank you for setting the mark, Marcus!

Any suggestions from others?

Read his book I just finished it this week.. it was fantastic...

I understand the importance of seeking out original and thought-provoking content in the field of psychology. In my search, I came across a video that truly stood out to me as one of the most profound and original psychological experiments I have encountered online.

The video is titled "The Marshmallow Test Revisited: A Replication and Extension of the Famous Delay of Gratification Study" and it is less than twenty minutes in length. This video presents a replication and extension of the famous marshmallow experiment conducted by psychologist Walter Mischel in the late 1960s.

In this experiment, a group of children were given the choice to either eat one marshmallow immediately or wait for a short period of time and receive two marshmallows. The results of this experiment showed that the children who were able to delay gratification and wait for the second marshmallow had better life outcomes in terms of academic achievement, social skills, and overall success.

The replication and extension presented in this video, conducted by researchers at the University of Rochester, aimed to further understand the underlying mechanisms of self-control and delayed gratification. They found that the ability to delay gratification was not simply a matter of willpower, but rather it was influenced by environmental and social factors such as trust and reliability.

What makes this video so profound and original is not only the replication of a classic psychological experiment but also the addition of new insights and findings. It challenges the traditional notion of self-control and highlights the impact of external factors on our decision-making processes.

Furthermore, this video is at least at a graduate level, as it dives deep into the methodology and results of the experiment, providing a comprehensive understanding of the research. It also raises important questions about the implications of these findings for our society and how we can apply them in our daily lives.

In conclusion, "The Marshmallow Test Revisited" is a remarkable video that showcases the importance of replication and the continuous pursuit of knowledge in the field of psychology. It is a must-watch for anyone interested in understanding the complexities of human behavior and the factors that influence it.

1. What qualifies a psychology video as "outstanding" or "original"?

A psychology video can be considered outstanding if it presents information in a clear, engaging, and visually appealing manner. Originality can be determined by the novelty of the topic, the use of innovative techniques or technology, or a unique perspective on a well-known topic.

2. Where can I find reputable sources for psychology videos?

There are several reputable sources for psychology videos, including academic and scientific websites, professional organizations, and educational institutions. YouTube channels from reputable universities and organizations like TED Talks also offer a wide range of psychology videos.

3. Can I trust the information presented in online psychology videos?

It is important to critically evaluate the information presented in any online source, including psychology videos. Look for videos that cite credible sources and are produced by reputable organizations or experts in the field. Additionally, cross-check information with other reliable sources to ensure accuracy.

4. Are there any age restrictions for watching psychology videos online?

Some psychology videos may contain mature content or complex concepts that may not be suitable for younger audiences. It is always important to check the content rating or age recommendations before watching a video, especially if it is intended for educational purposes.

5. How can I use psychology videos in my own research or studies?

Psychology videos can be a valuable resource for research and studies. They can provide additional visual and auditory information to supplement traditional text-based sources. When using videos in research, it is important to cite them properly and critically evaluate their credibility and relevance to your topic.