1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Seeking Recommendation on Discrete Mathematics textbook

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    Dear Physics Forum mentors,

I am an undergraduate sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology. I wrote this email to seek your recommendation on the discrete mathematics textbook that is in-depth, theoretical, proof-based, and also comprehensive. I am currently taking a course in discrete mathematics and the course requires the book called "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen, but that textbook does not help me in my computational microbiology research; the research is focused on machine learning and algorithm formulation, which requires a knowledge in theoretical discrete mathematics. Although Rosen's book is very comprehensive, I do not like its explanation and a lack of in-depth presentation.

Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,

PK

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2
    Not sure about the biology aspect of your question, however Epps discrete math book is clear. Maybe you have problems writing proofs?

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3
    ^
    Thanks for the recommendation but I heard that Epp's book is more or less equivalent to Rosen's book; my computational biology is focused on machine learning and algorithm formulation, which requires a lot of theoretical knowledge from the discrete mathematics. Unfortunately, Rosen's book is not detailed enough to help me out. Does anyone used Grimaldi's Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics? It seems quite theoretical...

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    Discrete mathematics is a very broad term. It can mean anything depended on the institution. Do you need a book on combinatorics, number theory, graph etc? Most discrete mathbooks are just introduction to these mentioned math topics and others. the proofs that these books present are only a thin layer of the over a all idea of these math topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted