1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Seeking Recommendation on Multivariable Calculus (theories)

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    Dear PF personnel,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology. I wrote this email to seek your advice on selecting a theoretical, proof-based textbook on the multivariable calculus. I will be taking a multivariable calculus on this Summer but it unfortunately is a computational one with little theories. I would like one that comprehensively covers the theories of multivariable calculus and perhaps including sections on the applications too (but not necessary). Couple of textbooks I have in my mind are ones written by Serge Lang, Apostol, Marsden, Hubbard, and Fleming. Which one is good for self-learning?

Sincerely,

PK

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    ^
    Thank you for the vote! Is this better textbook than Hubbard or Lang for the contents, explanation, and problem sets quality? I heard some bad reviews about it, more frequent than Hubbard and Lang.

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From those authors, I have only used Marsden (for Complex Analysis)...
    and have referred to more advanced physics texts by Marsden.
    The Hubbard text looks interesting with its treatment of differential forms.
    I haven't used any of them for vector calculus.

6. Apr 13, 2015 #5
    ^
    Thank you very much for the explanation. However, I am not sure if Marsden's book will be in similar quality to his other books....I am awaiting for more responses. Unfortunately, available books for Marsden in my college library are all checked out..I read some portions of Lang and Hubbard, and I feel like I miss something in Lang while Hubbard covers less contents in vector calculus than other books.

7. Apr 13, 2015 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Apr 14, 2015 #7
    ^
    Thank you very much for the recommendation! Do they cover traditional topics in vector calculus? I took a look on them and they seem to only cover the theories behind vector calculus? Vector calculus course I will be taking on Summer is purely computational, and my aim is to get a book on vector calculus that covers both theories and applications. I have two volumes of Apostol's Calculus but the second volume (covering multivariable and linear algebra) seems very outdated....Currently, my mind is on Marsden but I am not sure if this textbook can be a standalone.

9. Apr 14, 2015 #8
    Yes, they cover all the traditional topics. There are some computational aspects covered in both texts, but there is more emphasis on the theoretical side, so I guess it's up to you. Check them out and see if you like them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted