1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly incomprehensible Wave motion

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    This may not be the best place to ask this question ..... heck it isnt even homework ..... Im trying to get a head start on next weeks lesson which is wave motion ..... My book keeps referring to a term "wave front" , it mentions it twice/thrice during an explanation of interfernce patterns as seen on ripple tanks but doesnt actually say what it is .... my question is what is a wave front ? and how does this cause the interference ripple effects ?? (Im familliar with Youngs double slit experiment and how it works , although im totally lost on how concentric circles cause superpostiton of waves ??? :grumpy: )
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
  4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    hmm....assume you drop a ball into a water tank and the circles that form around the ball are the wavefront.....get it?if you cant jus get a pail of water and drop a ball in it and view from the top.anyway, lets say 2 wavefront meets(when it bounce back from the side of the tank) they will superimpose causing the interference pattern.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    hmm .... I still dont get it ... is a wave front equivalent to a wave or say a ray ??
  6. Sep 30, 2006 #5
    ok the definition bit from Wikipedia goes "...a wavefront is the locus (a line, or, in a wave propagating in 3 dimensions a surface) of points having the same phase"

didn't get what its trying to say ... this lesson is a first for meh , bear with me and my english isnt all that good :)
  7. Sep 30, 2006 #6
  8. Sep 30, 2006 #7
    so a wavefront is a group of waves in which a point on each of the waves are exactly located at their crests ??
  9. Sep 30, 2006 #8
    sorry if this seems annoying .... how does that fit into the description made by semc about picturing water waves ?? im totally lost
  10. Sep 30, 2006 #9
    Wavefront is really just a front of the wave. If the wave propogates like a circle then the wavefront will be a circle and if it's propogating like a sphear the front will be shaped like a sphear.
  11. Sep 30, 2006 #10
    oki still dont get it , dropping this head start thingy .... thnx anyways
  12. Sep 30, 2006 #11
    hmm... i think it is easier to understand this way,wavefront = crest/trough get it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?