1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly simple kinematics exercise

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rigid body
    The plane rigid body ABCD shown in the figure has rectangular shape and
    slides along the orthogonal runners X, Y. The points A and B are always in
    contact with the ranners.
    Data: ω=3 rad/s (angular velocity counterclockwise); [itex]\Theta[/itex]=30°; AB=CD=1m;
    AD=CB=0.5m.
    Determine:
    The A and C velocities;
    The position of instantaneous rotation center;
    The value of [itex]\Theta[/itex] for which the horizontal velocity component of D is null.

30vke4h.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Fundamental geometric identities

3. The attempt at a solution

Without knowing the center of rotation or the relevant velocities a priori I don't know how one can be solved for the other. So really, I can't make it past the first step.

The instructor gave us this solution which to me makes no sense.

2n86kox.jpg

He claims that Va = Va/b + Vb

and that Va/b = ω*AB

But this makes no sense since it assumes the center of rotation is at point B, or else Va/b wouldn't be given as the product of ω times the length of segment AB.

Am I missing something or did the instructor forget to inform us that ω refers to point B?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I may not get chance to come back to this for a few days and I'm not even 100% sure but...

Lets call the instantaneous center of rotation point O. I believe the walls must be tangential/right angles to OB and OA.

4. May 18, 2013 #3
    Here's the (sloppy) solution as given to us. Does this make any sense?

Attached Files:

5. May 18, 2013 #4
    Hrm, I was completely overlooking the fact that in rigid bodies and angular velocity and angular acceleration are independent of the reference point of the body.

It makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted