Rotation of wheel between two non-slip surfaces

In summary: The problem is in a unit focusing on the kinematics of motion of solid bodies between two different frames. For full disclosure, the problem was on a quiz that I passed, but missed this question. The instructor doesn't release solutions because people can take the test at different times.In summary, Brian's statement is that the point of contact (presumably meaning the point on the wheel at the point of contact) is moving at the same speed as the "translating body", i.e. (Based on the terminology in the problem description) the flat surface with which it is in contact. I see no flaw in that. Neither do I.
Brian in Twisp

Homework Statement

A certain machine can be modeled as a wheel between two translating bodies. Point P is on the upper translating body and is moving to the left at 6m/s and Point Q is on the lower translating body and is moving to the right at 3 m/s. The radius of the wheel is .3m. Find the velocity at the center of the wheel and velocity at point B. Assume that the wheel is not slipping on the translating bodies (I didn't get the translating bodies labled on the diagram, but they are the two surfaces that the wheel is between.
Snapshot2.jpg

Homework Equations

Vc = r ω
VB = V0 + Vrel + ω x r

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relative velocity between two different frames equations, I got the velocity of the center at -3m/s i, but I my answer for the velocity of B wasn't correct, and I'm not sure where I'm erring.
My interpretation is: Since the wheel is not slipping, the point of contact is moving at the same velocity as the translating body. Looking at the upper body, P is moving at -6m/s. This should be equivelent to a wheel rolling on a fixed plane at 6m/s, ω = 6/-0.3 or 20 radians/second counterclockwise.
So I'm getting a velocity of B = -3i -6j

The problem is in a unit focusing on the kinematics of motion of solid bodies between two different frames.
For full disclosure, the problem was on a quiz that I passed, but missed this question. The instructor doesn't release solutions because people can take the test at different times.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the +ve direction to be "to the right" then point P is moving at -3m/s wrt point Q.
Which part of the wheel has the same velocity as point P?

Note:
My interpretation is: Since the wheel is not slipping, the point of contact is moving at the same velocity as the translating body.
... get a round object and roll it along the floor ... observe the point of contact between the object and the floor: what speed is the object at that point? Is that the same as the speed of the object?
In your problem, the floor also happens to be moving ... so take your round object (a can is good for this) and put it between two flat objects (large books say) and move them about. Put the can on the floor, put a book on top of it, move the book ... how far does the can move, relative to the floor, compared to the book?

Watch and learn.

Simon Bridge said:
If you take the +ve direction to be "to the right" then point P is moving at -3m/s wrt point Q.
Do you mean -9m/s?

Anyway I also disagree with your first answer of -3m/s for the motion of the center. Please show your work on that part.

Sry yes. The rest stands.

Simon Bridge said:
Note: ... get a round object and roll it along the floor ... observe the point of contact between the object and the floor: what speed is the object at that point? Is that the same as the speed of the object?
Brian's statement was that the point of contact (presumably meaning the point on the wheel at the point of contact) is moving at the same speed as the "translating body", i.e. (Based on the terminology in the problem description) the flat surface with which it is in contact. I see no flaw in that.

Neither do I.
I want OP to watch something roll and use the observations to understand the problem better.

Brian in Twisp said:
This should be equivelent to a wheel rolling on a fixed plane at 6m/s
That would be true if the centre of the wheel were not moving: upper plane moving left at 6m/s, centre of wheel static, would be the same as upper plane static, wheel rolling along underneath it as 6m/s to the right. But the centre of the wheel is moving.

So looking at the problem assuming both the point of contact on the top and the bottom are stationary with respect to their respective surfaces, and the relative motion between P and Q is -9m/s. Assigning p and q add the respective points of contact, I can then use the relative velocities to calculate the angular velocity with V=ω x r taking r as the distance (0.6m) from q to p. Therfore ω=15.
Now knowing ω, I can go back and, using q as my instantaneous point of zero velocity, calculate the relative velocity of the center at q-4.5i or restated back in the original frame is -1.5i. By the same logic the velocity at point B is -1.5i -4.5j.
This fits with what I saw when I rolled a couple round things across the counter under a book, and saw the wheel moving half the distance, and thus half the speed of the book.
I think I got it now, thank you all. But please let me know if I said something Thai doesn't make sense.
Brian

Likes haruspex and Simon Bridge

Related to Rotation of wheel between two non-slip surfaces

What is the concept of rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces?

The concept of rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces refers to the movement of a wheel along a surface without slipping or sliding. This is achieved through the frictional forces between the wheel and the surface, which prevent slipping and allow for efficient rotation.

What factors affect the rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces?

The rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces can be affected by several factors, such as the weight and size of the wheel, the type of surface it is rolling on, and the amount of friction between the wheel and surface. The shape and design of the wheel also play a role in its rotation.

What happens if there is too much friction between the wheel and surface?

If there is too much friction between the wheel and surface, it can result in the wheel getting stuck or difficult to move. This can also cause wear and tear on the wheel and surface, leading to decreased efficiency and potentially damaging both the wheel and surface.

How does the radius of the wheel affect its rotation on a non-slip surface?

The radius of the wheel plays a significant role in its rotation on a non-slip surface. A larger wheel will have a greater surface area in contact with the surface, resulting in more friction and slower rotation. On the other hand, a smaller wheel will have less surface area and less friction, allowing for faster rotation.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces?

The concept of rotation of a wheel between two non-slip surfaces has many real-world applications. It is essential in transportation, such as in cars, bicycles, and trains, where wheels need to rotate efficiently and without slipping. It is also crucial in machinery and industrial equipment, where wheels are used for movement and rotation. Additionally, this concept is essential in everyday objects such as wheels on shopping carts and luggage, where smooth rotation is necessary for easy movement.