What Causes the Rod to Rotate?

In summary: There is a horizontal component to AB's angular velocity due to the disk's motion.Ok. So, in summary, the disk's motion causes the rod to rotate and the rod's rotation causes the disk to rotate.
physics_rino

Homework Statement

A vertical rod is rotating about its longitudinal axis at a constant angular velocity Ω. It is allowed to swing freely from the endpoint A. The angle between the rod and the longitudinal axis of the system is denoted by θ. Point A is located on the highest endpoint of the rod, point B on the lowest.
On top of the rod there is a disk that is rolling over the rod. The disk cannot fall from the rod or slip at any time. The disk is rotating with an angular velocity of ωrel and velocity vrel.
The whole system (rod, disk, etc) is moving with a velocity of V.
I added the problem statement and a figure showing the dynamics and relations relevant for the system.

Homework Equations

v=Ωxr
a=Ωx(Ωxr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I put a reference frame in the rotating frame with the axis: nhat in the rotating direction, lhat that talways in the direction where the rod is rotating and mhat orthogonal to both nhat and lhat.

a.)
Ωrot = Ω nhat
va = Ωrot x rahat = Ω nhat
vb = Ωrot x rbhat = -Ω Lcos(θ) lhat
vab = Ω(1,-Ω Lcos(θ) lhat,0) + vsystem

b.)
vc = Ωrot x rchat = -L/2 Ω cos(θ) lhat + vsystem
ac = Ωrot x(Ωrot x rchat) = -L/2 Ω2 cos(θ) nhat

Does what I did make any sense or am I completely off?
Thank you for your time
IMG-20161209-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20161209-WA0022.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
physics_rino said:
I added the problem statement and a figure showing the dynamics and relations relevant for the system.
Did you forget to add these? I don't see them.

Oh sorry. It didn't upload them. I'll get on the computer and upload them right away. Thanks for noticing

physics_rino said:
A vertical rod is rotating about its longitudinal axis at a constant angular velocity Ω. It is allowed to swing
Good job you uploaded the original text too. I would never have understood from your rewording that "it" is a different rod.
physics_rino said:
Ωrot = Ω nhat
Ok so far, but then you lost me. You seem to have started calculating some linear velocities. Part a only wants the angular velocity of rod AB.
First, define your coordinate frame. I get that ##\hat n## is upwards.
What other contribution is there to AB's angular velocity?

1. What is a rotating vertical rod?

A rotating vertical rod is a cylindrical object that is mounted vertically and can rotate around its central axis.

2. What is the purpose of a rotating vertical rod?

The purpose of a rotating vertical rod can vary depending on its use, but it is commonly used in experiments or machines to transfer rotational motion or to measure rotational speed or torque.

3. How does a rotating vertical rod work?

A rotating vertical rod typically works by having a motor or other source of energy rotate the rod around its central axis. This rotational motion can then be transferred to other parts of a machine or used to measure other variables.

4. What are some common applications of a rotating vertical rod?

A rotating vertical rod can be used in a variety of applications, such as in centrifuges for separating liquids, in wind turbines for generating electricity, and in machinery for cutting or shaping materials.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a rotating vertical rod?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a rotating vertical rod include the material and size of the rod, its rotational speed and torque capabilities, and any specific requirements for the intended application. It is also important to ensure that the rod is securely mounted and balanced to avoid any potential safety hazards.