Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly spontaneous data erased

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    Just today, two of my video games have been absolutely wiped clean. All the data on both of them has been erased! :cry: I was wondering if there have been any recent solar flares or other electromagnetic disruptions that could cause this. I know it's a bit of a long shot, but i'm a curious person. Could something like that have erased the data? Was it just a coincidence?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus

Wiped from what? CD, Hard drive, Floppy? Is this a PC or Console?

Details please. We can't read your mind.
  4. May 1, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

I don't think we need any more details. It was clearly from the solar flare :rolleyes:
  5. May 1, 2006 #4

Gold Member

I would exmaine more mundane causes. More likely that the data is there, but the s/w no longer recognizes it.

But, as DDuardo points out, we need a little more info.
  6. May 1, 2006 #5
    I apoligize!
    They are both cartriges. Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance.
    Both were wiped clean. The games were still there, just all the progress was erased.

What do you mean by that? Does that mean the data is still there, just corrupted to the point of not being recognized?
    Thanks for all your help so far!
  7. May 2, 2006 #6

Gold Member

Ah. Video game cartridges.

I read somewhere that the latest wisdom from video game companies is that kids these days have such short attention spans that saving games is pointless. Let them think they saved em - when they find the game under their butts the next day, it'll be like a shiny new toy all over again...

Oh wait. That's totally unhelpful too.

Try blowing the dust out of the slot. That's what my kids did with their Atari.
  8. May 2, 2006 #7
    Saving... pointless.. LOL...
    Not when you're five minutes away from beating the game and unlocking special features and the ability to connect to the gamecube version of the game unlock even more...

Anyway, I think I tried blowing it out, but I could try again. Maybe with one of those keyboard air can things. I'll post back with more info.
  9. May 2, 2006 #8

Gold Member

I was kidding.
  10. May 2, 2006 #9

Staff: Mentor

ROTFLMAO! That's too funny. Look what you've done -- now there are dozens of kids out blowing in their video game console, and dozens more trying to figure out where to blow! :rofl:

I still think this is the culprit: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060502.html

But seriously isn't the volatile part of the video games stored in the console itself? Sounds like part of that memory got wiped. Maybe an accidental button push in the game control windows?
  11. May 2, 2006 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

LOL, Now you funny too.:rofl:

That button push thing could do it though.
    I've literally end up playing outside the box as a chance button push put me on a part of the display field that wasn't part of the game.
    In one case I was able to recreate the situation fairly consistently.

Don't know if current consoles are different but save always used to be external. I guess the point being that you could take the cartriges over to a friends house.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?