Seemingly spontaneous data erased

In summary: Don't know if current consoles are different but save always used to be external. I guess the point being that you could take the cartriges over to a friends house.
Onlinealways
Hello!
Just today, two of my video games have been absolutely wiped clean. All the data on both of them has been erased! :cry: I was wondering if there have been any recent solar flares or other electromagnetic disruptions that could cause this. I know it's a bit of a long shot, but I'm a curious person. Could something like that have erased the data? Was it just a coincidence?
Thanks for your help.
Onli

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wiped from what? CD, Hard drive, Floppy? Is this a PC or Console?

Details please. We can't read your mind.

dduardo said:
Wiped from what? CD, Hard drive, Floppy? Is this a PC or Console?

Details please. We can't read your mind.
I don't think we need any more details. It was clearly from the solar flare :rolleyes:

I would exmaine more mundane causes. More likely that the data is there, but the s/w no longer recognizes it.

But, as DDuardo points out, we need a little more info.

I apoligize!
They are both cartriges. Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance.
Both were wiped clean. The games were still there, just all the progress was erased.

More likely that the data is there, but the s/w no longer recognizes it.
What do you mean by that? Does that mean the data is still there, just corrupted to the point of not being recognized?
Thanks for all your help so far!
Onlinealways

Ah. Video game cartridges.

I read somewhere that the latest wisdom from video game companies is that kids these days have such short attention spans that saving games is pointless. Let them think they saved em - when they find the game under their butts the next day, it'll be like a shiny new toy all over again...

Oh wait. That's totally unhelpful too.

Try blowing the dust out of the slot. That's what my kids did with their Atari.

Ah. Video game cartridges.

I read somewhere that the latest wisdom from video game companies is that kids these days have such short attention spans that saving games is pointless. Let them think they saved em - when they find the game under their butts the next day, it'll be like a shiny new toy all over again...

Oh wait. That's totally unhelpful too.Try blowing the dust out of the slot. That's what my kids did with their Atari.
Saving... pointless.. LOL...
Not when you're five minutes away from beating the game and unlocking special features and the ability to connect to the gamecube version of the game unlock even more...

Anyway, I think I tried blowing it out, but I could try again. Maybe with one of those keyboard air can things. I'll post back with more info.

Onlinealways said:
Anyway, I think I tried blowing it out, but I could try again. Maybe with one of those keyboard air can things. I'll post back with more info.
I was kidding.

DaveC426913 said:
I was kidding.
ROTFLMAO! That's too funny. Look what you've done -- now there are dozens of kids out blowing in their video game console, and dozens more trying to figure out where to blow! :rofl:

I still think this is the culprit: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060502.html

But seriously isn't the volatile part of the video games stored in the console itself? Sounds like part of that memory got wiped. Maybe an accidental button push in the game control windows?

berkeman said:
I still think this is the culprit: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060502.html
LOL, Now you funny too.:rofl:

berkeman said:
But seriously isn't the volatile part of the video games stored in the console itself? Sounds like part of that memory got wiped. Maybe an accidental button push in the game control windows?
That button push thing could do it though.
I've literally end up playing outside the box as a chance button push put me on a part of the display field that wasn't part of the game.
In one case I was able to recreate the situation fairly consistently.

Don't know if current consoles are different but save always used to be external. I guess the point being that you could take the cartriges over to a friends house.

What is "seemingly spontaneous data erased"?

"Seemingly spontaneous data erased" refers to the sudden disappearance of data without any obvious cause or explanation.

Why does "seemingly spontaneous data erased" occur?

There are a few possible reasons for this phenomenon, including software or hardware malfunctions, accidental deletion, or intentional deletion by someone with access to the data.

Is there any way to recover "seemingly spontaneous data erased"?

It depends on the specific circumstances and the type of data that was erased. In some cases, data recovery software may be able to retrieve the erased data. However, there is no guarantee of success and it may not be possible to recover the data.

Can "seemingly spontaneous data erased" be prevented?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent data from being erased, regularly backing up important data and implementing security measures to prevent unauthorized access can help reduce the risk of data loss.

What should I do if I encounter "seemingly spontaneous data erased"?

If you notice that data has been erased without explanation, it is important to take immediate action. Check for any potential causes, such as a software glitch, and try to recover the data if possible. If the data is irreplaceable, it may be necessary to consult a professional data recovery service.