Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selection rules in electric dipole appoximation

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some literatures say that the selection rule in electric dipole approx. for angular momentum ##\Delta j = 0,-1,1## some other say ##\Delta l = -1,1##. I follow the notation used in my references, despite the difference I think since j and l are both angular momenta which fulfill angular momentum commutation relations, I can regard them to be the same. But why are they different?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

##\Delta l = \pm 1## is due to conservation of angular momentum, as a photon has spin 1. But since ##\hat{\jmath} = \hat{l} + \hat{s}##, you can find combinations of ##l## and ##s## (or ##m_l## and ##m_s##) such that ##l## changes by 1, but ##m_l## changes also such that ##j## doesn't change. Note that this is not possible when ##j = 0##, such that ##j = 0 \rightarrow j'=0## transitions are forbidden (i.e., only for ##j \geq 1## is ##\Delta j = 0## allowed).

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you mean ##s## in place of ##m_l##?

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4

DrClaude

No. The electromagnetic field doesn't couple to spin, so you have ##\Delta S = 0## for many-electron atoms.

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I take an example of transition from ##1s_{1/2}## to ##2p_{1/2}##, would that be a good example?

7. Apr 23, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Starting from ##l=0, m_l = 0, s= 1/2, m_s = 1/2, j= 1/2, m_j = 1/2##, the atom can absorb a ##\sigma^-## photon (##\Delta l = 1##, ##\Delta m_l = -1##), to end up in the state with ##l=1, m_l = -1, s= 1/2, m_s = 1/2, j= 1/2, m_j = -1/2##.

Note that the same photon can also lead to a transition to ##l=1, m_l = -1, s= 1/2, m_s = 1/2, j= 3/2, m_j = -1/2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook