Self Contained Egg Moving Device

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project that involves constructing a self-contained egg moving device. The device needs to move 0.5m, pick up an egg, move another meter, and drop the egg onto a platform 1.0m high. The student is brainstorming ideas and considering using a pulley and falling mass concept for propulsion. They are also considering using a battery-powered microcontroller for the device and are unsure about the level of autonomy required.
Joseph Zambri

Homework Statement

I have a project for physics that requires me to construct a self-contained egg moving device. It must move itself 0.5m, then pick up an egg (in an egg cup holder), then move another meter and drop the egg off onto a platform 1.0m high, then continue moving after dropping it off.

Homework Equations

I don't actually HAVE to use any equations, I just have to build the device and explain it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am still in the brain storming stage, and am just looking for helpful ideas before making a decision on what I'm going to build. For propulsion I'll probably just use some type of pulley and falling mass concept, if anyone has any unique suggestions, that would be cool. My main concern is taking the egg from the floor to the height of the platform. My professor said we are allowed to use electronics but they must be used "properly", with no further details. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a robot type competition. Are you able to use a battery-powered microcontroller (uC) based mobile robot?

I should be able to. I don't know how to use one though.

Does the device need to possesses any degree of autonomy?

1. What is a Self Contained Egg Moving Device?

A Self Contained Egg Moving Device is a machine that is designed to transport eggs from one location to another without any outside assistance. It is equipped with sensors and mechanisms to carefully handle and move eggs without causing any damage.

2. How does a Self Contained Egg Moving Device work?

A Self Contained Egg Moving Device works by using sensors to detect the position and orientation of eggs, and then using mechanical arms and grippers to pick them up and transfer them to a designated location. It is programmed to move eggs with precision and without any human intervention.

3. What are the benefits of using a Self Contained Egg Moving Device?

Using a Self Contained Egg Moving Device can increase efficiency and reduce the risk of damage to eggs during transportation. It also eliminates the need for manual labor, making the process more cost-effective and less time-consuming.

4. Are there different types of Self Contained Egg Moving Devices?

Yes, there are various types of Self Contained Egg Moving Devices available, each with different features and capabilities. Some are designed to handle a specific type of egg, while others can handle a range of sizes and shapes. It is essential to choose the right one for your specific needs.

5. Are Self Contained Egg Moving Devices safe for eggs?

Yes, Self Contained Egg Moving Devices are designed to be gentle and precise in handling eggs. They are equipped with mechanisms to ensure that eggs are not damaged during transportation. However, it is still essential to handle eggs with care and follow proper handling procedures to prevent any potential damage.