Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-deterministic probability distribution

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    Do linear probability distributions in pure mathematics ever evolve chaotically? In other words, can random statistics tend to reinforce certain singular values nonrandomly? I am reminded of quantum models that favor definite, discrete outcomes.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    I'm not familiar with chaos theory, so I may be committing a type III statistical error (a.k.a. "answering the wrong question").

Could you get there by defining the distribution in the kth iteration as a function of the outcome(s) in the k-1st iteration?

E.g., if I were to define the family of cumulative uniform distributions Uk(x) = x/ak where ak is the realization in the k-1st stage (and say, a0 = 1), then Uk --> 0 (at least in expectation).

Then, one can define a set of such families, each family having its own rule of path-dependency. (E.g., I can also define another uniform family Vk that converges to 1, and define the set as {Uk(U), Vk(V)}.) Finally, one can come up with a random selection rule over the set, so that the observed outcomes seem to randomly oscillate toward 0 and 1.

EnumaElish

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Let me express my concern as clearly as I can: what is the cardinality of all probabilities?

Sorry for the diversion on the way here, Enuma Elish.

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. Nov 30, 2008 #5
    E.E.,

Your response is about as right on as I could ask. The initial blog (as I think I understand its first half) and its references are intriguing and interesting. My sense tells me that fractals might be directly involved there.

The definition "cardinality as the ‘effective number of points’" is a good starting place. (I guess a "metric space" is one that can be assigned probability.) Exponential entropy, a new concept to me, compares well to cardinality. This seems the meditation between cardinality and probability I seek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?