Self-Study Biology: Textbooks & Courses for Beginners

In summary, if you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. The first thing you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on. Campbell Biology is a good choice to get started with.
WeDontBelongHere
Hello,

I want to learn biology from stratch for a hobby, I never studied it in school good enough so I want to do it now, should I go through entire Campbell Biology to grasp basic stuff?
I want to note that I want to focus on bioinformatics as I progress
One more thing to note is that I want to do as many biology experiments(I don't mind even going through books for kids as I can, and I want to actually understand science behind them, not just do the experiments and voilà!

So based on description of my current knowledge (zero), my goals (bioinformatics), wishes(experiments), what textbooks/courses would you recommend to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two points:
If you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. One of the first things you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on.

You may have some sort of idea what a proteins and lipids are, for example. But it probably is not in terms of you furthering your understanding of cell membranes.

Campbell is fine - get a used one from Amazon - 10th Edition.

jim mcnamara said:
Two points:
If you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. One of the first things you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on.

You may have some sort of idea what a proteins and lipids are, for example. But it probably is not in terms of you furthering your understanding of cell membranes.

Campbell is fine - get a used one from Amazon - 10th Edition.
Yeah I'll definitely go for Campbell then.

Hello) I am studying for my Bachelor of Biological in University of Houston Downtown. Here is very good courses to everyone.

[moderator note: promotional info removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is self-study biology?

Self-study biology is the process of learning about biology through textbooks and courses on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on the topics they are most interested in.

2. Why should I consider self-study for biology?

Self-study for biology can be a great option for individuals who have a strong interest in the subject and want to learn more on their own. It can also be a helpful tool for those who may not have access to traditional classroom settings or prefer to study at their own pace.

3. What are some popular textbooks for self-study biology?

Some popular textbooks for self-study biology include "Biology: A Global Approach" by Campbell and Reece, "Biology: Concepts and Connections" by Raven and Johnson, and "Biology" by Sylvia S. Mader.

4. Are there any online courses available for self-study biology?

Yes, there are many online courses available for self-study biology. Some popular options include "Introduction to Biology" from Khan Academy, "Biology Essentials" from Udemy, and "Biology: The Secret of Life" from Coursera.

5. How can I ensure I am effectively learning through self-study for biology?

To ensure effective learning through self-study for biology, it is important to set a schedule and stick to it, actively engage with the material by taking notes and asking questions, and regularly assess your understanding through practice quizzes and exams.