Proving uniqueness of λ in Cauchy-Schwarz derivation from Spivak 1-6

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
SrEstroncio
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
In an effort to keep me from spending all summer lying on the couch, I recently started reading Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds; while working on problem 1-6 I got stuck on a technical detail and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight.

Problem 1-6 says:
Let [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] be integrable functions on [tex][a,b][/tex].
Prove that [tex]|\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2}[/tex].
He suggests that you treat the cases [tex]0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/tex] for some [tex]\lambda \in R[/tex] and [tex]0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/tex] for all [tex]\lambda[/tex] separately.
My question is: how do I know the [tex]\lambda[/tex] is unique?
Considering the two cases given above I got a cuadratic expression in [tex]\lambda[/tex] whose discriminant gave me the strict inequality when [tex]0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/tex] for all [tex]\lambda[/tex] (since there are no real roots of the equation), but in order to conclude that [\tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex] I am forced to assume that the discriminant of the equation is equal to zero (otherwise I get [tex]|\int_a^b fg | \geq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2}[/tex], which is obviously wrong), meaning that there is only one root of the equation, or equivalently that the lambda that satisfies [tex]0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/tex] is unique, fact that I feel must be proven, not assumed).

How do I know said lambda is unique? Keep in mind that since f and g are integrable (but may not be continuous) one cannot assume that [tex]0=\int_a^b (f)^2[/tex] implies [tex]f=0[/tex].
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SrEstroncio! :smile:

Let's first consider an arbitrary quadratic function. Take

[tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Now, if this equation has two distinct roots, then the equation must become negative somewhere (either in between the roots or outside the roots). So we know that

[tex]ax^2+bx+c<0[/tex]

for some x. So the only way that this function is always greater than zero is that the root is unique.

Now, you have a quadratic function in [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]\int_a^b(f-\lambda g)^2[/tex]

and you know that this function is always greater than zero. The only way to accomplish this is if the function has only 1 or no distinct real roots. So this is why the lambda is unique.
 
micromass said:
Hi SrEstroncio! :smile:

Let's first consider an arbitrary quadratic function. Take

[tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Now, if this equation has two distinct roots, then the equation must become negative somewhere (either in between the roots or outside the roots). So we know that

[tex]ax^2+bx+c<0[/tex]

for some x. So the only way that this function is always greater than zero is that the root is unique.

Now, you have a quadratic function in [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]\int_a^b(f-\lambda g)^2[/tex]

and you know that this function is always greater than zero. The only way to accomplish this is if the function has only 1 or no distinct real roots. So this is why the lambda is unique.

ok ok ok I get it now, thank you very much ;D