1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self studying little Spivak's, stuck on Schwartz ineq. for integrals

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an effort to keep me from spending all summer lying on the couch, I recently started reading Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds; while working on problem 1-6 I got stuck on a technical detail and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight.

Problem 1-6 says:
    Let [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] be integrable functions on [itex] [a,b] [/itex].
    Prove that [itex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

He suggests that you treat the cases [itex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] for some [itex] \lambda \in R [/itex] and [itex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] for all [itex] \lambda [/itex] separately.

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is: how do I know the [itex] \lambda [/itex] is unique?
    Considering the two cases given above I got a cuadratic expression in [itex] \lambda [/itex] whose discriminant gave me the strict inequality when [tex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] for all [itex] \lambda [/itex] (since there are no real roots of the equation), but in order to conclude that [\tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex] I am forced to assume that the discriminant of the equation is equal to zero (otherwise I get [tex] |\int_a^b fg | \geq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex], which is obviously wrong), meaning that there is only one root of the equation, or equivalently that the lambda that satisfies [itex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] is unique, fact that I feel must be proven, not assumed).

How do I know said lambda is unique? Keep in mind that since f and g are integrable (but may not be continuous) one cannot assume that [tex] 0=\int_a^b (f)^2 [/tex] implies [tex] f=0 [/tex].

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Suppose that:
    [tex]
    \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}>0
    [/tex]
    Then:
    [tex]
    \lambda^{2}\int g^{2}-2\lambda\int fg +\int f^{2}>0
    [/tex]
    Consider this as a quadratic in [itex]\lambda[/itex], what does this statement say? It says that the entire quadratic lies above the x-axis which in turn implies that there are no real roots which is turn puts a condition on the discriminant of this quadratic.

For the case:
    [tex]
    \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0
    [/tex]
    The statement means that [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], so what does that say about f and g?

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    We do not know if [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] are continuous, we only assume them to be integrable, so it is not necessarily true that
    [tex]
    \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0
    [/tex]
    implies [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], since [itex] f-\lambda g [/itex] could be zero except at an isolated number of points (it's integral would still be zero but the function wont be zero everywhere).

Maybe I should elaborate on my question. Suppose
    [tex]
    \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0,
    [/tex]
    then
    [tex]
    {\lambda}^2 \int g^2 -2\lambda \int fg + \int f^2 =0.
    [/tex]
    Solving for [itex] \lambda [/itex] I get
    [tex]
    \lambda = \frac{2\int fg \pm \sqrt{4{\int fg}^2 -4(\int f^2)(\int g^2)}{2\int g^2}.
    [/tex]
    Now if the discriminant of the above equation is equal to zero we obtain
    [tex]
    {\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) =0
    [/tex]
    from which we obtain the equality part of the problem. But how do I know there's exactly one lambda that satisfies the equation? What if the equation had two real solutions? so that [itex] \Delta \geq 0 [/itex], then we would have
    [tex]
    {\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) \geq 0
    [/tex]
    and we would conclude that
    [tex]
    {\int fg}^2 \geq (\int f^2)(\int g^2),
    [/tex]
    which is nonsense. How do I prove the equation has only one solution so that the above explained does not happen?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. Jun 23, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

What type of integral are you using? Riemann or Lebesgue? The answer may be different depending on what you choose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook