Self-teaching physics with calculus.

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of an old physics textbook published in 1988. Despite some wear and tear, all the pages are intact and the book is still considered a standard introductory text. It is agreed that the fundamentals of physics have not changed in the past 23 years and the textbook will still be helpful for self-study. It is also noted that the textbook includes calculus, but it is not necessary to have taken a calculus course beforehand as the book teaches the principles.
kaos86
I have an old textbook titled: The fundamentals of Physics-3rd edition(Authors:Halliday and Resnick). It was published in 1988 and I want to know if an old outdated book can still be useful. I looked at the pages and some are bent or folded. Still, all the pages are there. I want to use this time to self study and "Buff-up" my physics. I finished community college and already turned in one application to university at Buffalo as a transfer for the fall semester 2011.
All I can do now is study and look for jobs to save up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have the fundamentals of physics changed in the past 23 years?

General_Sax said:
Have the fundamentals of physics changed in the past 23 years?

I don't think so. I guess you answered my question.

That text is probably the most standard intro text used. It's age doesn't matter. It will be fine to use.

agreed. It is a good introduction to intro physics. All the best on your studies

With all the calculus involved in this book, I've never taken a Calc 3 course. Does it matter to study calc 3 while studying this physics book with calc involved?

Remember you are not "self-teaching" physics to yourself. You are not rediscovering physics principles.

The author is teaching you through a book or video.

1. What is self-teaching physics with calculus?

Self-teaching physics with calculus refers to the process of learning physics concepts and principles using calculus as a tool. It involves independently studying and practicing calculus-based physics topics to gain a deeper understanding of how mathematical concepts can be applied to real-world physical phenomena.

2. Is self-teaching physics with calculus a viable method of learning?

Yes, self-teaching physics with calculus can be a very effective way of learning for individuals who are motivated and have a strong foundation in both physics and calculus. It allows for a more personalized and in-depth understanding of the subject matter.

3. What are the benefits of self-teaching physics with calculus?

Self-teaching physics with calculus can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and connections between physics and calculus.

4. Do I need prior knowledge of calculus to self-teach physics with calculus?

Yes, a solid understanding of calculus is necessary to effectively self-teach physics with calculus. It is recommended to have completed a calculus course before attempting to self-study physics with calculus.

5. Are there any resources available for self-teaching physics with calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources, textbooks, and practice problems available for self-teaching physics with calculus. It is important to choose reputable and reliable sources to ensure accurate information and effective learning.