Self-teaching: What topics do I learn first?

• Thread starter operationsres
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topics
In summary, the speaker has recently become obsessed with maths and is studying it in their free time. They have knowledge equivalent to a first-year university student and have aced three maths subjects. However, they have forgotten some of it but have also re-learned a decent amount. They are currently unsure of which topic to focus on and are seeking recommendations. The speaker also suggests self-learning auxiliary skills such as programming and writing technical articles. They mention that these skills can come in handy in the future and cannot be taught in courses beyond an elementary level. They are currently co-authoring three applied econometrics/statistics papers and are interested in the more hardcore maths side. They recommend algebraic number theory as a good foundation for mathematical skills and
operationsres
I've become a bit obsessed with maths in the last month. I'm studying it in all my free time.

My knowledge is probably at the level of a 1st year student who just finished their 1st semester and did pretty well. I did 3 maths subjects at uni and aced them. However, I've forgotten quite a bit of it over the last 12 months, but have also re-learned a decent amount.

I've been starting my learning with analysis but I'm not sure it's the optimal way to start things off again.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm not sure what I should focus on first ... linear algebra, calculus, or the proof/limits side of analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to self-learn useful auxiliary skills which are not directly taught in courses. This includes programming, writing technical articles, giving talks, applied math/comp.-sci techniques (say, geometric algebra, probability & statistics, local and global optimization) etc.

Mastery of such things can come in very handy later, and they form a skill axis orthogonal to your main academic skills. Additionally, some of them (e.g., programming) actually cannot be taught decently in courses beyond an elementary level, and are very suitable for self-learning at the same time.

Thanks for the post. I'm co-authoring 3 applied econometrics/statistics papers at the moment so I'm fine on the programming/statistics front.

I'm interested in the more hardcore maths side.

A good foundation for mathematical skills would be algebraic number theory. You can begin a study of this with nothing more than high school algebra yet many of its problems will test your ingenuity. My favourite book on this topic is Richard M Burton's Elementary Number Theory.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your excitement and dedication towards learning math. It is great to see that you have a strong foundation in the subject from your previous university studies. When it comes to self-teaching, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start. My recommendation would be to focus on the fundamentals first. This can include topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. These concepts are the building blocks of advanced mathematics and having a strong understanding of them will make it easier for you to grasp more complex concepts later on.

Additionally, I would suggest revisiting the topics that you may have forgotten over the last 12 months. This will help refresh your memory and fill in any gaps in your knowledge. From there, you can move on to more advanced topics such as linear algebra, calculus, and analysis.

In terms of which specific topic to start with, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. If you are interested in applications of math, then focusing on calculus and linear algebra would be beneficial. However, if you have a strong interest in the theoretical side of math, then starting with the proof and limits aspect of analysis may be more suitable.

Overall, my advice would be to start with the fundamentals, review any topics that you may have forgotten, and then move on to more advanced topics based on your interests and goals. Remember to also take breaks and not overwhelm yourself with too much information at once. Good luck with your self-teaching journey!

1. What are the most important topics to learn first when self-teaching?

The most important topics to learn first when self-teaching will vary depending on your personal goals and interests. However, some commonly recommended topics include critical thinking and problem solving skills, basic math and science, and a strong foundation in a particular subject area.

2. How do I decide which topics to prioritize when self-teaching?

When deciding which topics to prioritize when self-teaching, it's important to consider your personal goals, interests, and learning style. You may also want to consult with experts or do some research to determine which topics are most relevant or in-demand in your field of interest.

3. Is it better to focus on one topic at a time when self-teaching or to learn multiple topics simultaneously?

This is a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. Some people prefer to focus on one topic at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed, while others thrive on learning multiple topics simultaneously. Experiment with both approaches to see which works best for you.

4. Can I teach myself advanced topics without any prior knowledge or experience?

While it is possible to teach yourself advanced topics without any prior knowledge or experience, it may be more challenging and time-consuming. It's generally recommended to have a basic understanding of a subject before diving into more advanced topics.

5. How can I stay motivated and on track while self-teaching?

Staying motivated and on track while self-teaching can be difficult, but setting clear goals, creating a structured study plan, and finding a support system or accountability partner can help. It's also important to take breaks and reward yourself for your progress to avoid burnout.