1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sellmeier's equation & Least-squares Fitting

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the values of Sellmeier's coefficients (S and λ0) using the least-squares method and Sellmeier's dispersion equation:
    n2=1+Sλ2/(λ202)

2. Relevant equations
    n2=1+Sλ2/(λ202)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to use the least-squares method with a simple equation like y=mx+b (see below), but when trying to do the same thing with Sellmeier's equation, I get confused with where to put the summation symbols. Also, I am not sure if I use the squared version of Sellmeier's equation or to take the square root of it.

With y=mx+b, I know to take a y' point on the line corresponding to one of the points. A general equation would be achieved, i.e. Di=yi-y'i --> Di=yi-mxi+b. You would then square the equation, take the summation of it, and then the derivatives with respect to m and b to minimize, setting both equations equal to 0:

(1) Ʃ(yixi)-mƩ(xi2)-bƩ(xi)=0
    (2) Ʃ(yi)-mƩ(xi)-bn=0, n is the number of data points

The solved linear equations yielded:
    m=[Ʃ(xi)][Ʃ(yi)]-nƩ(yixi)/[[Ʃ(xi)]2-nƩ(xi2)]
    b=[Ʃ(yixi)][Ʃ(xi)]-[Ʃ(xi2)][Ʃ(yi)]/[[Ʃ(xi)]2-nƩ(xi2)]

With Sellmeier's however, I am achieving some complex starting equations. Is there some mathematical "trick" I don't know about? Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You could try to massage your equation somehow so that ##1/\lambda^2=x## and ##y=1/(n^2-1)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted